Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Big Cat Rescue SPEWS NONSENSE AND IGNORANCE - Savannah Cats and Bengal Cats Make Bad Pets?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Brigitte that is an excellent piece and should be sent to every news agency that publishes BCR rubbish each and every time. Thank you for writing it.
I've sent it to more than one journalist over the past few years... I think it has helped in a few cases to make them stop and think about how ridiculous the BCR claims are :)

cbain

Site Supporter
In many states our F3'S are illegal , even ACFA does not want them why is this ? ACFA does admit Bengals and F5 Bengals can be shown at CFA shows but no Savannah's, I like the Savannah breed and hate to hear of them being talked down by people with their head up their a=s.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I've sent it to more than one journalist over the past few years... I think it has helped in a few cases to make them stop and think about how ridiculous the BCR claims are :)

I would prefer to have the article on here instead of a pdf...I have a reason for wanting to do that...Brigitte, can I post it in its entirety here?

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
In many states our F3'S are illegal , even ACFA does not want them why is this ? ACFA does admit Bengals and F5 Bengals can be shown at CFA shows but no Savannah's, I like the Savannah breed and hate to hear of them being talked down by people with their head up their a=s.
From what I understand, mostly from other folks posting to the forums, the CFA does not allow outcrossing in the breeds, as their definition of pure bred, is different from the TICA definition, which allows outcrossing, but you can not show for awards until the 5th generation of SV to SV breeding. Bengals, are way, way down the generational branches (like F10, F11, etc) as compared to the SV breed.
In my opinion, I won't be surprised that eventually the CFA will recognize the SV breed, as the numbers of SV's continue to climb rapidly, and it would be unwise from a business standpoint to not recognize a seriously large breed. A couple of years ago, the SV breed was the fourth largest TICA breed registration of that year, and was rising rapidly.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I would prefer to have the article on here instead of a pdf...I have a reason for wanting to do that...Brigitte, can I post it in its entirety here?
I just preferred it as pdf so that people didn't copy and paste bits without acknowledging the source, that's all... but yes, whatever you wish to do with it :)

wfraser1955

Savannah Super Cat
I don't think I've had a companion cat or dog that is as compassionate or social as my boy Loki, he meets me every day when I get home from work with headbutts and he stands up against my legs to be petted. at bedtime he gets up on the bed wants to be petted for a few minutes then curls up between me and my wife for the night. And intelligent, he wakes up my wife around 7:00 each morning and lets me sleep (Weekends ) during the week he stays in bed as I go to work. He's the only cat I've ever had that chose not to run and hide when my grand kids come in, he rubs up against them, especially my youngest, Sarah. The kids just love him. I also have two shelties and a 17 yr. old Siamese and it's not unusual to find them either playing together or sleeping in a big heap. I've only had Loki since November 2013 and I can't imagine being without him. Will I get another Savannah, you bet .... soon, I hope.

Trish Allearz

Savannahs are therapy cats...

An F7 is my sons' best friend.
My F1s are my best friends and will permit my children to sit in with them while birthing kittens and afterwards- purring nonstop. You can't even say that about most cats, but my SVs love attendance!

And of course-- this is my reasoning in video...

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
I know I already answered, but thought I would share one more reason. I am on another business trip and my cats miss me! I am not suggesting other breeds wouldn't miss their people, of course. But my Savannahs are running to the door every time they hear a car outside, and still run to my husband's iPad when I call home via FaceTime because they hear my voice. Just another testament to their loyalty and affection.

Ps. Please cross fingers I get out of Buffalo tomorrow and make it home to my 2 legged and 4 legged babies!