Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Blood in Stool

Paul B

Sorte
So is it still OK to take the rest of the chicken from last night, which has been washed well and is in the fridge, and put it in the freezer again? Or does that need to be done directly after first washing and cutting?

M

MK Anderson

Oh wow, I didn't get any alerts about replies. I just notices this.

Yes, if this persists I am going to make an appointment to take Sorte to the vet.

The chicken I gave him was a just thawed 3 pack of thighs from Costco. I took the skin off and rinsed them before cutting them. I only cut up one and put the rest in the fridge. So it was good, new chicken.

I didn't realize that chicken was worse than most other meats. While he was eating it (both cooked and raw) it was the first thing he picked out in his dish. Although he seemed to really go for the raw with zero hesitation. Once he smelled it he was eating it, not "checking it out".

I've notice that has happen to me too! I dont get alerts:(.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
So is it still OK to take the rest of the chicken from last night, which has been washed well and is in the fridge, and put it in the freezer again? Or does that need to be done directly after first washing and cutting?
If that chicken has been in your fridge thawed for a number of days, even if only rinsed yesterday...I likely wouldn't chance it. It may be fine, but personally given your cat has developed diarrhea I'd rather err on the side of safety and toss that and start with new chicken next time. I'm really paranoid about what my cats eat, btw!

Paul B

Sorte
He is cracking my up right now by the way! LOL! He is sitting in front of the french doors watching the birds and squirrels running around the back yard like he loves to do. When he watches them, he does this dance with his head moving back and forth. I assume it has to do with what Per was saying about cats vision and seeing objects better when moving. He'll do this for 15-20 minutes, turning his head back to me and giving me a "hey, are you see this stuff?!" meow every now and then. :)

Paul B

Sorte
If that chicken has been in your fridge thawed for a number of days, even if only rinsed yesterday...I likely wouldn't chance it. It may be fine, but personally given your cat has developed diarrhea I'd rather err on the side of safety and toss that and start with new chicken next time. I'm really paranoid about what my cats eat, btw!

Will do then B.

Paul B

Sorte
Well, after a day of being back on just the dry food, Sorte is his normal, energetic self running laps around the house. He had his first bowel movement this morning and his stool is back to being a good normal consistency and no traces of blood at all.

Paul B

Sorte
I agree, thanks Paige. I was getting ahead of myself (and him). I'll let him be happy Sorte with no changes for a while now.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Well, after a day of being back on just the dry food, Sorte is his normal, energetic self running laps around the house. He had his first bowel movement this morning and his stool is back to being a good normal consistency and no traces of blood at all.
Didn't someone say the kibble you are feeding is high in fiber? I know that in some cats this is thought to mask either IBD or even Tritrichomonas infection. Something to consider here maybe..

Paul B

Sorte
He is on Iams Hairball Adult formula. I assumed that was not the best choice, but I'm not sure if i should be switching him to something different at the moment, even it's another dry...?