Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Blood in Stool

B

Breheart

yeah, my gut has me agreeing that its most likely a hemorrhoid and diet related. I realllllly hope its not the TF back again. I will keep you all posted with what the vets suggestion is

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
Maybe his he needs some good probiotics etc. to put everything right again. You can simply give liquid acidophilus from the drug or something like fortiflora. I wouldn't mess around with food too much. Something bland so long as he eats it. Canned ID is really good for digestion issue. I always keep some on hand when my dog eats something nasty.
When in doubt, I keep canned ID and metronitozole (flagyl) on hand.

Trish Allearz

You can also buy Lactinex at Walmart in the pharmacy section and sprinkle it on whatever he's eating- same thing as Fortiflora and whatnot.

Paul B

Sorte
Hello everyone. I thought I would re-open this thread. For the last couple days, my wife and I have been seeing if we could eventually switch Sorte over to a raw diet. We had made his own chicken thigh (cooked, no bone) a few days a go just to see what he would think of that and he ate it like nothing with no problems. Last night we cut up and gave him 3-4 small pieces of raw chicken thigh along with his dry food. I'm wondering what kind of changes they go through when eating raw for the first time...? Later last night I caught him about to go poo on the bed in his room again (after 3 days of using his litter box just fine). I went to carry him to his box before he went on the bed, but it "squeezed" it out by doing so. I'm pretty sure he was telling me his stomach wasn't feeling well because he poo was runny.

Then, this morning we woke up to him having gone poo on the bed again. Only this time it was REALLY runny, almost watery and one part of it has a very small amount of blood in the runny stool. Do you think this is because of his first time trying raw chicken? Like I said, it was only 3-4 small pieces so far. Thanks ahead of time for your comments.

Paul

admin

Paige
Staff member
Paul,

I don't think a small amount of raw chicken would cause anything like you are describing. I think it is time you get Sorte to a vet to get checked out.

M

MK Anderson

I'm with Paige, I do not think raw and the amount you gave him would do that. I think you need to take him to the vet.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I agree that adding raw chicken should not cause runny stools. In fact adding raw meat is the only thing I don't think needs a gradual transition. Usually transitioning to a new diet you wish to do it gradually, yet when going to only raw it doesn't cause an upset...I guess because the only ingredient (meat) is not the problem in the other diets it's all the other stuff in the cans and kibble!

So saying that, how careful were you with the chicken thigh you did give him raw? Was it from the same batch of thighs that you had given him a cooked thigh from a few days ago? Had this raw thigh been sitting in the fridge for a few more days? If so, then I might be more careful with the raw chicken from now on. My rule is that if it doesn't smell good enough for me to cook and eat for myself, then I won't feed it raw to a cat. I'm really fussy about what I cook for myself too (I'm a microbiologist by training!)...

Chicken is probably worse than other meats too, it's not just Salmonella but the counts of Campylobacter are high from the processing of chickens in plants. When grinding chicken for Babbage (he's the only one eating chicken here because he's not allowed any bone in his diet and it's too hard to debone rabbit on a regular basis), I get a large batch from Costco, rinse the pieces before grinding...add supplements and oatmeal and fiber (he's got a special diet due to his digestive issues) and then package and refreeze. Then I thaw the next day and so on for his meals. One bag is usually enough for a day or two. The freeze and thaw cycle helps kill off some of the bacteria...not all but it does have a good effect on the type of bacteria you tend to find on chicken. So not something we like to do a lot with the meat we consume but good to do when feeding it raw to your pets.

I would take him to the vet, have his poop checked for infection. Obviously you want the runny poops resolved asap!

What my vet recommends as a diet for kittens and cats with diarrhea is boiled chicken and rice... some ground chicken boiled up with a lot of water and a little white rice added. This is very bland and tends to settle their tummies down best, then you can work to reintroduce the diet you've chosen.

M

MK Anderson

I agree that adding raw chicken should not cause runny stools. In fact adding raw meat is the only thing I don't think needs a gradual transition. Usually transitioning to a new diet you wish to do it gradually, yet when going to only raw it doesn't cause an upset...I guess because the only ingredient (meat) is not the problem in the other diets it's all the other stuff in the cans and kibble!

So saying that, how careful were you with the chicken thigh you did give him raw? Was it from the same batch of thighs that you had given him a cooked thigh from a few days ago? Had this raw thigh been sitting in the fridge for a few more days? If so, then I might be more careful with the raw chicken from now on. My rule is that if it doesn't smell good enough for me to cook and eat for myself, then I won't feed it raw to a cat. I'm really fussy about what I cook for myself too (I'm a microbiologist by training!)...

Chicken is probably worse than other meats too, it's not just Salmonella but the counts of Campylobacter are high from the processing of chickens in plants. When grinding chicken for Babbage (he's the only one eating chicken here because he's not allowed any bone in his diet and it's too hard to debone rabbit on a regular basis), I get a large batch from Costco, rinse the pieces before grinding...add supplements and oatmeal and fiber (he's got a special diet due to his digestive issues) and then package and refreeze. Then I thaw the next day and so on for his meals. One bag is usually enough for a day or two. The freeze and thaw cycle helps kill off some of the bacteria...not all but it does have a good effect on the type of bacteria you tend to find on chicken. So not something we like to do a lot with the meat we consume but good to do when feeding it raw to your pets.

I would take him to the vet, have his poop checked for infection. Obviously you want the runny poops resolved asap!

What my vet recommends as a diet for kittens and cats with diarrhea is boiled chicken and rice... some ground chicken boiled up with a lot of water and a little white rice added. This is very bland and tends to settle their tummies down best, then you can work to reintroduce the diet you've chosen.

I did not know that about Chicken being worse than other meat, B. My cats really only like chicken!