Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Cat food research-what to look for

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
Sadly the only thing that matches what I want in the cats diet is a raw freeze dried food like Stella and chewys lol and I didn't want to skip to raw just yet. how do potatoes impact a cats health? And why do cat food companies use chicken meal, fish meal, etc.

"Those who wander aren't always lost"
Potatoes are a starch and provide no nutritional benefits, the meal is basically put In because it is cheap. If you look at food labels there are min amounts available so ingredients will vary according to price of the raw product. When building rations they use a cost analysis so it meets the minimum requirement plus is cheapest to produce.
This is definition for meat meal from dog food advisor:
Well, surprisingly, a quality grade meat meal can actually be a more abundant source of protein than the whole meat from which it was made.
Here’s why.
Meat meal is a dried end-product of the cooking process known as rendering. Rendering is a lot like making stew — except that this stew is intentionally over-cooked.
With rendering, you start with a meat stew, cook away the water and bake the residue. And you end up with a highly concentrated protein powder — or meat meal.

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
The main problem with fish-based foods is vitamin K deficiency. Raw fish contains an enzyme that destroys vitamin B1. There's more research there if you do a google search.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8840252
Yeah don't think I have seen too many brands that are all fish, I've seen lots with fish blended with other proteins. I know Orijin makes a Pacifica blend, but am not too sure that with all the processing and additives it would cause problems. Good to know though. The article kindof saddens me thinking that cats were purposely fed a fish based diet for a science hypothesis.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I don't want to be out of line here, and this is just my opinion, but there is a lot of info on the internet, even though the fish article has an author with a DVM behind her name, she is not sourcing any scientific articles to her claims, so IMO I would not take all those links to heart. I can find snipits of articles on the internet and write a blog and convince people of my opinion. I know fish is getting a bad rap and understandably so with farm raised and mercury levels but with kibble in general, the sources of meat usually aren't great cuts of lean clean meat but leftovers and rejects from packing plants. Unfortunately we can argue about peas being evil gmo. I would not worry too much about fish in food but defiantly concentrate on feeding high quality and giving best quality of life. I can see from all your research that you love your little guy and will do
The best for the kitten.

I will agree with you the article seems a little biased. I am aware of issues with fish recently regarding my own diet I have strayed from fish because of the issues with mutation and toxicity. Mercury can be an issue in super concentrated doses. Which I don't make the kibble so I have no idea how much is in there. I have read biased article after biased article. Honestly I want to see stories from both sides. Compromise I know what I want for my lil guy and what he wants to eat are probably not going to be the same thing lol

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Potatoes are a starch and provide no nutritional benefits, the meal is basically put In because it is cheap. If you look at food labels there are min amounts available so ingredients will vary according to price of the raw product. When building rations they use a cost analysis so it meets the minimum requirement plus is cheapest to produce.
This is definition for meat meal from dog food advisor:
Well, surprisingly, a quality grade meat meal can actually be a more abundant source of protein than the whole meat from which it was made.
Here’s why.
Meat meal is a dried end-product of the cooking process known as rendering. Rendering is a lot like making stew — except that this stew is intentionally over-cooked.
With rendering, you start with a meat stew, cook away the water and bake the residue. And you end up with a highly concentrated protein powder — or meat meal.

Thank you for explaining this to me. So it is like protien powder or chicken concentrate in a way. So not necessarily a bad thing. Knowing with kibble it is hard to get away from overly processed mediums. What should I steer clear of in kibbles aside from known toxins. ad grain.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Yeah don't think I have seen too many brands that are all fish, I've seen lots with fish blended with other proteins. I know Orijin makes a Pacifica blend, but am not too sure that with all the processing and additives it would cause problems. Good to know though. The article kindof saddens me thinking that cats were purposely fed a fish based diet for a science hypothesis.

It is sad of all the lives that have had to be sacrificed in the name of science. That is why I steer clear of soaps etc that have been tested on animals it is cruel and unneeded. Medicines etc I'm not sure how they could avoid it sadly =\

Patti

Admin
Staff member
If you see 'chicken meal' listed as an ingredient it is probably a higher quality protein than if simply 'chicken' is listed. I'm still unclear why you want to create extra steps and change his diet to something else before going to raw?

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
if he's gunna be on kibble for a few months I wanted to make sure it was good kibble. So I started doing a little research then wound up getting concerned lol. once I switch him to raw I do still want something to fall back on if he gets hungry between food time. Like the convenience of kibble but love the nutrient value from raw. So I had thought I can do both. I don't think I'll switch him until hes 6 months after I have him neutered. And everything settles down. Is it just as rough on his tummy switching to another kibble for the time being than switching to raw? or any change in his diet would be just as hard? you tell me what you think of his kibble. If you think it's good quality ill keep it the same until he goes raw

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Solid gold- indigo moon
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein 46% Minimum
Crude Fat 20% Minimum
Crude Fiber 3% Maximum
Moisture 10% Maximum
Ash 7.5% Maximum
DHA 0.05% Minimum

Calories 450 kcal/cup

INGREDIENTS

Chicken Meal, Potatoes, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Chicken, Pea Protein, Natural Flavor, Ocean Fish Meal, Choline Chloride, Salmon Oil (source of DHA), Taurine, Potassium Chloride, dl-methionine, Dried Chicory Root, Parsley Flakes, Pumpkin Meal, Almond Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Sesame Oil (preserved by mixed tocopherols), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Thyme, Blueberries, Cranberries, Carrots, Broccoli, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Calcium Panthothenate, Riboflavin, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Rosemary Extract

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
I will agree with you the article seems a little biased. I am aware of issues with fish recently regarding my own diet I have strayed from fish because of the issues with mutation and toxicity. Mercury can be an issue in super concentrated doses. Which I don't make the kibble so I have no idea how much is in there. I have read biased article after biased article. Honestly I want to see stories from both sides. Compromise I know what I want for my lil guy and what he wants to eat are probably not going to be the same thing lol

I know how you feel,lol! I'm crazy concerned about what I eat and my animals, luckily I live on a farm and have friends who grow pasture fed livestock. I go to the extreme of slaughtering my own meat and that what I feed to my guys. My goal this summer is to grow meat rabbits. I butcher and grind my own meat. So this way I know what they are getting. We also raise our own poultry. I started with my cattery on kibble, always had problems. Since I started doing this, no diarrhea or any problems.