Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cat food research-what to look for

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
That is fantastic! living the cleaning eating dream huh? nothing tastes better than fresh meat. I've never had rabbit but then again I have 2 pet rabbits lol. One of which was supposed to be a meat rabbit. He's my sweetie

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Is it just as rough on his tummy switching to another kibble for the time being than switching to raw?
I think it's much easier to switch from kibble to raw, then to switch from one kibble to another. I think no matter what kibble you choose you are going to find carbs in it, whether it be potatoes, green peas, or other grains (rice, corn, etc.). In fact, when I had my cats on a formula that had less carbs (Evo) I seemed to have more cats with diarrhea. I'm pretty happy with Taste of the Wild kibble and Wellness canned as far as store bought products go, but you will need to decide for yourself what you feel is best for your cat.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Ok so comparing supplements and the breeder had sent me three links for supplements. I am going to order tonight and I don't I know if I need all three or jut one. help?
http://www.wildtraxsupply.com/
http://www.amazon.com/Vetoquinol-411496-Hi-Vite-Digestive-Vitamin/dp/B005YI2ODE/ref=sr_1_1/175-4857376-1302606?ie=UTF8&qid=1394418755&sr=8-1&keywords=hi-vite drops for cats
http://www.petcarerx.com/nutri-cal/10579
The only supplement you've listed here that is for a BARF diet is the WildTrax. I can't even find the ingredients listed for the second item and the third I would not consider an appropriate daily supplement for a BARF diet.

If you are going to feed BARF then the WildTrax should be fine. If you are going to feed slab meat without the bones then I would use the Mazuri supplement.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I kept looking at taste of the wild especially since the farmer supply runs specials on it and I don't have to drive 20mins to get to the closest store that carries the kibble he already has. it's all fine for one bag or two. But considering I'm usually at work when places are open it's easier when it's along my work route to pickup. but I will keep that in mind. I think a 15lb bag of his current kibble will hold off until ready to switch. At that point ill see if I'm ready to do raw . And how about the vitamin question I postedx

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Oh just saw the comment below. What is a barf diet? Sounds messy? Lol and I didn't realize there were degrees of raw. the middle supplement seems to be for iron deficiency. And the last one for those cats who seem to have less of an appetite who aren't eating regularly. ill do some research on mazuri for when I change his diet

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I wish there were sources on savannah and cat nutrition like how much per day of a vitamin etc like nutrition for humans we can just look it up or o by percentages. It seems that information is missing for animals just a lot of marketing for supplements. I know fat soluble vitamins and minerals can be risky if there are too many in a diet, and I haven't seen anything as to how much is too much

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
So the mazuri supplement is a big stronger then? So if he will be on kibble for the next month or so would the mazuri or wildtrax be optimal?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Are you talking about adding a supplement to the kibble or to raw once you start feeding him that? I'm not sure that adding a supplement to kibble is necessary - a high quality kibble has the needed nutrients, it's just all the other additional stuff it has that is sometimes felt to be objectionable.

Wildtrax can be used if you are feeding BARF - bones and raw food. If you are only going to feed raw (no bones) then you should use the Mazuri.