Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Codename Nifty

John Popp

Site Supporter
Interesting about Rascal and Mayhem, and definitely some similarities here. Perhaps the other way around at times, but along the same lines.

Oddly Chongo has oft been a little withdrawn when he watches Monte play some of the games Chongo does and certainly isn't happy that Monte enjoys some of the same toys. It's at times a little rough for Chongo as he is having some confidence issues about the servants catering to someone else. No issues at all with just the two of them, but add a third party and Chongo either gets angry or walks off sulking.

The latest bit has been Chongo really asserting himself to what is his, and when he is going to command interaction with Trish or I. He'll grab a toy to play fetch, and drop it between the launcher person and Monte. Pretty much a dare for Monte to grab it, and if the little guy does, it's a growl drawing a line. Nothing has escalated to date, and Monte always seems to heed warnings from the other cats. At the same time, Monte always wants to find out exactly where that line is.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Chongo seems to be acting like Rascal when Mayhem first arrived. I would say Rascal was a little withdrawn for about two years, nothing serious, but not his boisterous self prior to his brother. Then one day, the old Rascal was back. It seemed to coincide with Mayhem knocking off the constant hunting, ambushing, and general poke your brother and run. And it helped that Mayhem has decreased the urge to be the center of attention 100% of the time. Rascal has started to play lick and kick with Savannah, the F5. And he is back to camping out next to my wife at night, er, rather, shoving her over and taking up about a quarter of the bed. (Ever notice how they stretch out their long legs and sleep across the width of the bed??)

John Popp

Site Supporter
Thanks Mike!

That's all good to know and I probably won't have a withdrawn Chongo for very long as Chongo/Monte personalities are reversed from that of the Rascal/Mayhem relationship. It does sting a little bit seeing Chongo subdued at times and despite all my reassurance that we are still best friends. Monte never seems to miss a beat about injecting himself into Chongo and my playtime. The little guy could be out of sight for hours, but as soon as a toy comes out he is in the mix within seconds.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Animal behavior always fascinates me. When I got Taji, Juba was beside himself with joy at having a companion who could keep up with him and keep him company. They bonded immediately after quarantine and are like peanut butter and jelly. When I got Maliik, he and Juba were happy together for the first year. Then Juba got jealous of the time DH and I spent with Maliik and the time Taji spent with Maliik. Maliik has been here a touch over 3 yrs and Juba is still unsure of their relationship. He sleeps, grooms, and plays with Maliik but in between those times seems to just grudgingly accept his continuing presence.

Poor Maliik is, of course, enamored more of Juba who regularly rejects him than he is of Taji who accepted him unconditionally. I was surprised that Juba, who is very confident, would feel threatened by the presence of a 3rd cat and wonder to this day if a female would have made a difference in the dynamics. I also wonder if Maliik's size is part of the issue or whether Maliik's gentle nonaggressive nature is an invitation to be bullied. He is completely accepting of his 3rd place standing in the pride.

John Popp

Site Supporter
That's interesting Deborah. Not sure that a male vs a female would have made a difference, probably someone just assumes each of the roles. Years ago when we had a very harmonious relationship between two cats who were brothers, enter the female, she becomes the Alpha cat, dislikes everyone but her Mom and then the brothers really didn't get along.

I always assumed it was the inmates running the asylum when the pets outnumbered the people. The cats aligned themselves with people instead of one another and then there was a complete circle of who would beat up on who. My big boy hasn't been right since, is a problem pee'r and it's only been giving him his own space that has given him solace.

Anyway, I guess you just never know and a triad is infinitely harder to resolve differences than having just two cats.