Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Did I make a mistake?

melissam87

Savannah Super Cat
So if you recall a couple months ago I was on a search for a companion for my savannah Nikita. Well, I followed as much advice as I could. I ended up with a tabby female kitten about 10 weeks old. I took her to the vet and Had her checked out. This thursday she is going back to be fixed. I kept her quarantined for a grand total of 5 or 6 days. I couldn't stand the crying every time I locked her in the bathroom. She wanted out to explore her new pad.

My resident cat is not happy at all. I didn't expect her to accept her with open paws but I also didn't expect her whole personality to change. She has swatted, hissed,ignored her all day. I expected that. But, she also hasn't come near me for most of today and seems disinterested in eating. The once playful, highly talkative pet is now a very quiet, reserved and somewhat withdrawn.

Yesterday I took the newbie out for a short while but today she has been exploring and playing with supervised freedom. I put her in isolation when I go out and will do so when it's time for bed.
I have initiated play time with Nikita but it's not the same. It's like she lost her spark. The one thing I did notice is that Nikita licked the kittens head for a second. Other than that she hasn't done anything but watch from a distance. She hasn't made but a peep all day which is the polar opposite of her personality.

Did I make a poor decision by bringing another pet into my home? Keep in mind I did it for her. I work longer hours in the spring and summer so I thought it would be a good thing for her to have a friend.

Thank you for your time everybody. I greatly appreciate all of the help.

Melissa

Trish Allearz

I think it is way too early to tell. How old is Nikita? If she is much older, then it may take longer for her to decide to accept the little one, in my experience. Also- we humans always have this idea that cats are dying for other feline companionship. She could accept the new kitten and never play, cuddle, hang out with said kitten- some cats simply accept new kittens, but don't fall in love with them.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Melissa, I think you just may have rushed the introduction and maybe need to back it up a step or two.

Maybe give it some more days, we generally recommend two weeks' quarantine, no matter how hard it seems for you and the new kitten. During this time swap out the pet beds which allows Nikita to smell the kitten without the kitten's presence. Make a fuss of Nikita, extra treats, playtime. But just understand she's dealing with a shock to her system. Yes, you've brought this kitten into your home as a companion, but Nikita doesn't see the appeal right now. No doubt she will in time... although two female cats might only come to tolerance rather than close friendship.. I'd probably have chosen a male kitten to increase the chances they'd be great friends...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I'm a little unclear how long you've actually had the kitten and how many days she has been out with Nikita? It's not uncommon for your cat to get upset by a newcomer, and things might have gone better if you'd left the kitten in quarantine for at least two weeks to give Nikita time to adjust to the idea that there is a new kitty in the home (by hearing her and smelling her on you), but at this point in time you need to make the best of things.

I would continue what you are doing with Nikita - give her dedicated time several times a day where you show her affection and play with her. Make sure she knows that she is still your special baby (do the same for the kitten). You might consider separating them again for another week or so. Then when you reintroduce them go slow, giving them just a few minutes together at first, then gradually increasing their time together. You can also play with them side by side using a wand toy for each so they get used to each others presence while playing with you.Eventually if all goes well they will start playing together.

Nikita is clearly miffed about sharing you with the other kitten but I think eventually she will come around. Sometimes it takes a few days, other times it can take a few months. In some cases, the established cat never completely accepts the newcomer and if that becomes the case you just need to accept it and move on...

melissam87

Savannah Super Cat
Tomorrow will be a week that I've had the kitten. I had to use one of my bathrooms as an isolation room. The problem is there are no windows in either one so I had to leave the light on. Otherwise it's pitch-black . Unfortunately the fan and light are on one switch. I can't leave that fan on all day. So I put a small lamp to help with that. The other problem is that after day four she cried for hours in there and I have neighbors. It sounded like an echo chamber. I had to sacrifice Nikitas feelings out of fear that I'd get a complaint. I do play and pet her throughout the day when I'm home. Bedtime is when I play with her the most. I have a ritual where we play with the "da-bird" toy and the red laser toy for a good 30-45minutes. I try to reduce some of that energy in hopes that she will sleep also. :)

Thanks for the response.

Melissa

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I can see that it was not an ideal situation. Hopefully with time Nikita will warm up to the kitten. Be prepared for her to take a step back once the kitten comes home from her spay though because she will smell strange from being at the vet's, which usually elicits a few hisses from other cats in the family. That's usually temporary though, the smells usually dissipate by morning and things go back to normal...

K

Kronos

At least Nikita isn't hissing! When I brought Kronos home, Solo was mad. I fed them treats together, played with them, and just did as much positive stuff with both of them around as possible and eventually Solo warmed up. Now they wrestle and play, and sometimes groom each other... but they do not sleep together (Kronos tries to but Solo always shoos him away). I would say they enjoy each other's company now but they are not BFFs lol.

Just give it time!

melissam87

Savannah Super Cat
Oh she hissed. She made sounds I've NEVER heard from her before. Lol this kitten has a lot of guts though. She gives it back as much as a kitten can. I even caught her eating out of Nikitas bowl. Apparently the Blue Buffalo kitten formula isn't as appealing as Weruva chicken and duck. Lol

Thanks for the tip on after her surgery. Speaking of scents, do kittens have a stronger cat odor than adult cats? My kitten smells like a cat and Nikita doesn't have any odor that I can smell at all. Does that have to do with the fact she is not yet fixed?

Melissa

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I wouldn't think a 10 week old kitten should smell a lot... maybe give her a bath and see if that improves? LOL...I know, give a kitten a bath, not an easy task especially if not a Savannah (I find mine are less concerned about being wet than most cats)...

M

MK Anderson

I would wait 2week quarantine no matter how hard it is!

This should make you feel better.... It took Pergie 6 to 8weeks to accept Keeba!!! That is them in the avatar picture. Pergie was PISSED and I was prepared for it! He hissed, growled and spit!!! I took it very slow and Pergie did not even see him face to face for almost 4weeks. I put up a screen door at week 4 and every time he would walk by he would spit at him and Keeba just wanted to play LOL! I did let Keeba out after the 2 week time, I would just switch them back and forth from the quarantine room.. Keeba is the easy one he could of cared less he was being hissed, growled and spit at he just wanted to play. Chloe meet Keeba at about 2.5 weeks she was fine with him she just wanted to make sure he knew she was the queen and he knows it lol.

Hang in their give it lots of time and take it slow. their is no reason to hurry something you want to last a lifetime!!! try not to stress either they pick up on that.