Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Do black kitten noses stay black?

Mantha Meow

Savannah Super Cat
I have absolutely fallen in LOVE with the black nose on an SV.. I'm pretty sure it's something I am going to have to have in my SV when I get him/her. That being said, do the noses stay black? I've seen some pictures of cats with black noses but I've also seen pics that say "look how his/her nose changed pink?". I really want one with a nose that will stay black.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I would say that the majority of SV kittens born with seemingly black noses turn into pink noses (usually with a black border) when they grow up.

If both parents of the kitten are black nosed spotted tabbies (not melanistic, the black nose is different then) then the kitten almost certainly will keep the black nose. If either or both parents are pink nosed then it is pretty much a gamble. Some kittens are so darn dark in the face, with a "mask" of black hairs around the nose, those kittens I think are also more likely to keep the nose.

admin

Paige
Staff member
All of my kittens in the last litter had black noses, except Orion...they ended up having a pink star int he middle :)

Trish Allearz

Um, Abu started off black and ended up fading to a blooming pink star. Rocco started off black and I sent a ton of updates to his Dad with pics of his nose-- zoomed in on it, etc. Turned out pink with a black outline. By the time you totally fall in love with a kitten, it won't matter.

If black is your definite thing-- then wait until 12-16 weeks and you should know for sure, I'd expect.

Mantha Meow

Savannah Super Cat
I would say that the majority of SV kittens born with seemingly black noses turn into pink noses (usually with a black border) when they grow up.

If both parents of the kitten are black nosed spotted tabbies (not melanistic, the black nose is different then) then the kitten almost certainly will keep the black nose. If either or both parents are pink nosed then it is pretty much a gamble. Some kittens are so darn dark in the face, with a "mask" of black hairs around the nose, those kittens I think are also more likely to keep the nose.

Thank you Bridgette that's very helpful! I have a breeder in mind now (so exciting!). She sent me a picture of a kitten from a previous litter that had a cute black nose and great spotting/coloring. She is expecting a litter in a month or so from the same pairing so I'm hopeful that there are some black noses in there! I will have to look up the parents again to see what they have.

Mantha Meow

Savannah Super Cat
Dad is a melanistic and mom is silver looking, the pic is blurry but I think I see a black nose. The website says,
"Even though she appears almost silver, Arya is what we fondly call "Platinum" brown/black spotted".

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I have nothing constructive to add but that I have a black-nosed savannah but his leather isn't poofy. It looks a DSH nose. I have a pink-nosed SV with great poofy nose leather and one with nice poufy pink nose leather outlined in black. My favorite isn't black -- it's black with a pink star such as this serval has. DSC02487CropAdjBCE.jpg

admin

Paige
Staff member
I have nothing constructive to add but that I have a black-nosed savannah but his leather isn't poofy. It looks a DSH nose. I have a pink-nosed SV with great poofy nose leather and one with nice poufy pink nose leather outlined in black. My favorite isn't black -- it's black with a pink star such as this serval has. View attachment 11738

I honestly could care less about the nose color, but I understand it is a must have for some people...I love Orion's pink nose with the thick black border...and the black with pink star is awesome as well...that is what Inara and Dia had...

Mantha Meow

Savannah Super Cat
I honestly could care less about the nose color, but I understand it is a must have for some people...I love Orion's pink nose with the thick black border...and the black with pink star is awesome as well...that is what Inara and Dia had...

The nose color is not going to be a determining factor (I realize I'm contradicting myself here but I have a tendency to post a question to get advise before I have fully researched :big grin:) . In the end if I fall in love with the kitten then it won't matter! I was just curious if they change. I've been looking through more pics and I do love the black nose but the black outline and pink are just as precious!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I have nothing constructive to add but that I have a black-nosed savannah but his leather isn't poofy. It looks a DSH nose. I have a pink-nosed SV with great poofy nose leather and one with nice poufy pink nose leather outlined in black. My favorite isn't black -- it's black with a pink star such as this serval has. View attachment 11738
zari_IMG_7053_web.JPG My Zari has a black nose with a pink dot...when she was a kitten the pink dot appeared when she was a few weeks old. I was convinced it would turn into a pink nose but the dot remained small... but then both parents are black-nosed tabbies.

I agree with Paige and you, the black noses are a cool look BUT a big puffy nose is way more important to a Savannah's look. A tiny nose leather it really won't make too much difference whether it is black or pink... my F1 Nina has a black nose and her sister Daisy a pink one and both are gorgeous! LOL!
MK27_116.jpg Nina daisyhelm3.jpg Daisy