Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do Savannahs go thru the terrible twos?

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
......Once my 3 were done with the TTeens, they settled back into cuddly cats but by that time, my hair was completely gray and I was used to chugging vodka to get through the long days:roflmao:
Oh, seriously? Blame shifting to the innocent cats? Really? Take some ownership Twitchy!:rolleyes:

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Oh, seriously? Blame shifting to the innocent cats? Really? Take some ownership Twitchy!:rolleyes:
I can prove categorically that my alcohol intake increased when I got the 2nd SV. And here I am getting a 4th. I need to go to rehab for 2 addictions. LOL.

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
let's look at my sanity levels, shall we? I have a terrifying teen human daughter, and a terrible 2 human daughter AT THE SAME TIME. Then I have my perhaps exiting terrifying teens Savannah plus my over the top nuts baby Savannah. They have been wound up themselves like the rest of you are experiencing. The girls and the cats! :eek:

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
We've had such a mild sunny warm winter there's been that behavior all along...the craziness does not stop here! And I've never seen one of my Savannahs "grow out of" their behavior, even Bobo (sick as he was) was an active cat right up until his end. Missy turns 9 in July and is still the most frenetic cat I know.

The craziness can go through spurts, and if we had proper seasons here maybe it would be more noticeable like it seems for others on this forum... but sometimes just a period of boredom will lead to them "discovering" a fun new game, like the TP game you describe! LOL!

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
I think they do! Maybe not at two but they tend to go through a "test everything" stage. That is when they try to escape or throw temper tantrums to get what they wants. Some more than others. They are smart cats and there comes a day when they will try to outsmart you!

barbja

Savannah Super Cat
My girl seemed to have the terrible ones. She's two now and sleeps with me again and doesn't dunk her toys as much or walk in the water bowl or (insert all kinds of kitten stuff here). However, she still terrorizes our DSH, jumps onto light fixtures, and still thinks its funny to throw full soda cups to the floor. We can't enjoy a beverage w/o a screw top around our house.

MM3

Site Supporter
June will be the one year marker for kitty. never having a kitty before, but being on our forum I believe kitty falls in the middle someplace of high to moderate activness. If there is such a word. Weather has been mild and she cries at the back door to get out for a walk. Playing games is a nightly thing. Thin Wooden dowels with all sorts of items on them. From feathers to small balls to fuzzy mice. I rotate them all, so she doesn't get bored. I have added piling up 3 or 4 pillows and then maneuver the string around the pillows. Kitty likes that the best. At times she runs around the house like we have just put fresh batteries in her. This solo play can sometimes continue for 10 to 15 mins. Our outside walks are 2 or 3 times a day for 30 mins up to 40 mins. Even then she is resistant to want to come in. She doesn't care if it is raining or not. Some days I need to accomplish tasks around the house and find I need to push her walk down the "to do " list this is when the onryness comes out. She will cry and follow so close I almost trip on her, This continues until I stop and take her out. Which I usually give in to keep peace. Even with all that I have mentioned I still feel it necessary to seriously consider an exercise wheel for her. HOW DOES ONE KNOW IF THEIR FURBABY IS GETTING ENOUGH EXERCISE? What happened today and yesterday changes outside walks. Kitty wanted a lizard and as quick as a blink of an eye kitty had followed the lizard into a bush that many broken off twigs sticking out. Kitty scraped the soft delicate skin under her chin on one of the rough edged twigs. Kitty is scratching it and making it a bigger injury. I rush out to get a collar to keep her from further irritating it. And I take her with me in her " girl- on- the- go- backpack" so she is distracted and won't tear into the injury while I am away getting the collar. Once we get home i let her out and blow of the collar ready to put it on her and she no longer is bothering it. And it is healing fine. That was yesterday...today we head out for our walk as we do or try to do every morning. We have been on our walk for 8 mins when a wasp or a hornet flys in her path and before I know it is has it in between both her front paws. In seconds she releases it and begins to give a horrid meow biting at her front paw and hopping toward home. I had never experience a meow cry this before. I get her in the back door call the vet and take her in immediately. With 30 mins she is seeing the doctor. She made sure no stinger was in her paw, but it was definitely swollen. And kitty is biting at her pad where the hornet bit her. So the doctor recommend a steroid shot. Shot given and we head home. Once home kitty allows me to put a cold towel on her paw repeatedly for 20 mins as her paw up extremely hot. 25 mins. Later kitty is settling down, her paw isn't as hot now. Now it 's 6 hours later and kitty has been resting more than usual and she is not crying to go outside. I'm now reluctant to take her back outside, with two injuries in two days. So after all this how does one measure how much exercise is the correct amount of exercise for a year old kitten? Anyone else have any experience with hornets? Bee stings? Wasp stings?

Chris Elliott

Savannah Super Cat
...We have been on our walk for 8 mins when a wasp or a hornet flys in her path and before I know it is has it in between both her front paws. In seconds she releases it and begins to give a horrid meow biting at her front paw and hopping toward home. I had never experience a meow cry this before. I get her in the back door call the vet and take her in immediately. With 30 mins she is seeing the doctor. She made sure no stinger was in her paw, but it was definitely swollen. And kitty is biting at her pad where the hornet bit her. So the doctor recommend a steroid shot. Shot given and we head home. Once home kitty allows me to put a cold towel on her paw repeatedly for 20 mins as her paw up extremely hot. 25 mins. Later kitty is settling down, her paw isn't as hot now. Now it 's 6 hours later and kitty has been resting more than usual and she is not crying to go outside. I'm now reluctant to take her back outside, with two injuries in two days. So after all this how does one measure how much exercise is the correct amount of exercise for a year old kitten? Anyone else have any experience with hornets? Bee stings? Wasp stings?

Oni also caught a flying stinging insect, probably a wasp, while we were on a walk a couple of weeks ago. One paw swelled up and she look like she had a club foot. The vet gave her shots of a steroid and Benadryl. By the next morning all was well. She still wants to go for walk all the time, but is more cautious around flying insects. Didn't stop her from eating a spider in the bathroom, though, fortunately with no ill effects.

Oni so loves walks that I intend to keep them, despite the increased chance of injury. Who knows, maybe the walks decrease the chances of injury from mayhem inside.

MM3

Site Supporter
Oni also caught a flying stinging insect, probably a wasp, while we were on a walk a couple of weeks ago. One paw swelled up and she look like she had a club foot. The vet gave her shots of a steroid and Benadryl. By the next morning all was well. She still wants to go for walk all the time, but is more cautious around flying insects. Didn't stop her from eating a spider in the bathroom, though, fortunately with no ill effects.

Oni so loves walks that I intend to keep them, despite the increased chance of injury. Who knows, maybe the walks decrease the chances of injury from mayhem inside.
Thanks for sharing. Who knows maybe as time passes, I could give it another go.