Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do Savannahs go thru the terrible twos?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
You're describing typical life with a savannah. There are always risks to weigh when taking a cat for a walk. When Juba was a baby, he stuck his head in a bush that contained a wasp nest and they swarmed him. It was early spring and I was wearing a jacket and I was able to get him wrapped up in it before he got stung. We just have to be extra cautious and limit walks to areas that contain the least amount of hazards possible.

As far as exercise and environmental enrichment, sounds like you're doing all the right things. One obvious suggestion is to consider getting a companion cat -- doesn't have to be a savannah, but perhaps another high energy breed. Even a DSH would provide your cat with companionship and a playmate.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I think our Savannahs get as much exercise as they need - if not on walks outside then by playing indoors and tearing around the house. It sounds like your kitty might benefit from an outdoor enclosure where she could have free access to come and go, as well as a cat wheel so that she can exercise whenever she wants.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
image.jpg

The joys of taking a meeting from home with a bored SV.
1. Nip at toes and randomly jump on human servant to see what sounds she will make.
2. Jump up on top of China Cabinet (7' tall) and munch on fake shrubbery. (see picture)
3. Jump up on top of bar and rearrange bottles of booze, toppling a couple.
4. Follow servant back to kitchen and jump up on top of kitchen cabinets via the counter.
Servant very happy when conference call ended!

MM3

Site Supporter
You're describing typical life with a savannah. There are always risks to weigh when taking a cat for a walk. When Juba was a baby, he stuck his head in a bush that contained a wasp nest and they swarmed him. It was early spring and I was wearing a jacket and I was able to get him wrapped up in it before he got stung. We just have to be extra cautious and limit walks to areas that contain the least amount of hazards possible.

As far as exercise and environmental enrichment, sounds like you're doing all the right things. One obvious suggestion is to consider getting a companion cat -- doesn't have to be a savannah, but perhaps another high energy breed. Even a DSH would provide your cat with companionship and a playmate.
Thank you for you time and input I appreciate it. Making the decision to have a savannah in our lives we have worked toward that goal for quite some time. Waiting until we had traveling out of our system ( other than a short 2 or 3 day get away) to eliminate leaving her for weeks at a time going abroad. Waiting until I could devote the time to be a playmate. House, time & energy can not accomdate more than one furbaby. (Caregiving family member) maybe this will change but need to make what we have at this moment work. CC&R's don't allow outside structures, wanting to get a wheel ....what are the chances she won't use it? $550 is quite pricey. I am willing to do what ever I am able to do to enrich my kitty's life. If I need to be away from home I plan it at her nap time. Once we have a play session she will sleep 2 hours. That's when I slip away to the market. She has become my life so much that sometimes I feel my husband gets pushed on the wayside. And I immediately recognize when that happens and correct it. Sometimes life is a delicate balance.

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
View attachment 13177

The joys of taking a meeting from home with a bored SV.
1. Nip at toes and randomly jump on human servant to see what sounds she will make.
2. Jump up on top of China Cabinet (7' tall) and munch on fake shrubbery. (see picture)
3. Jump up on top of bar and rearrange bottles of booze, toppling a couple.
4. Follow servant back to kitchen and jump up on top of kitchen cabinets via the counter.
Servant very happy when conference call ended!
Poor servant. Rafiki sounds like she is a bit on the naughty side today.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Nothing quite like a bored Savannah in her terrible twos! Needless to say, I did not get quite as much out of the conference call as I would have liked......something having to do with constantly having to yank a naughty little monkey off places she is not supposed to be!

Rafiki

Site Supporter
The worst part is the expression she gives me when she is being naughty.....this innocent wide eyed look where she appears to be asking "what?".