Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Dreamweaver catz breeder

brominated

Savannah Kitten
Hi everyone, I am looking at getting an F2 Savannah from Dreamweaver Catz out of North Carolina. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. The cattery is TICA registered, and I read the thread on "Is this breeder legit?" and none of the red flags went off. However I was wondering if this community knew anything about this group.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Hi everyone, I am looking at getting an F2 Savannah from Dreamweaver Catz out of North Carolina. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. The cattery is TICA registered, and I read the thread on "Is this breeder legit?" and none of the red flags went off. However I was wondering if this community knew anything about this group.

Shelby is a very well known breeder, ethical and responsible, so I would not hesitate to recommend her. I know her personally as well :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Shelby of Dreaweaver Catz is reputable and a very nice lady. I've known her for some years online and on the phone (I live in California)...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I've known Shelby for many years. She is not afraid to think out of the box, but is a good, conscientious, and ethical breeder. For years I lusted after one of her F2s, sadly she was determined to keep her for her own breeding program... my loss...

brominated

Savannah Kitten
Thanks everyone for the input. I really, really, really need to meet and spend some time with a Savannah to know if its truly right for me. This is a leap from the standard kitties I've had (2 Siamese, 1 Ragdoll, 1 Abyssinian), and I feel pretty confident as a cat owner, but I have to know for sure before committing to this. Do any of you know of an owner, or someone that could point me in the right direction? I live near Washington DC.

admin

Paige
Staff member
But you still won't know... Spending time with someone else's Savannah is not going to give you the entire picture. Abys are a bit similar in personality to Savannahs... Maybe you need to start with a later generation before getting an F2! You could perhaps meet a couple of our rescues in Virginia...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brominated

Savannah Kitten
I'll take any opportunity I can get, the more I can meet, the better. My Aby was named Rocket because he ran around like a madman when he was a kitten and he was a total goofball. The kitten I have in mind is only 2 weeks old, so I have at least 2 more months to figure this out.

admin

Paige
Staff member
The issue is that many people just don't have time or want strangers in their homes... Email me and let me see if we can work something out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I don't know that every Savannah is the same just like your Aby is probably quite individual also. From everything I have heard from Aby breeders while hanging out at cat shows over the years, they are very similar in personality. It is the breed I most liken Savannahs to in terms of behavior.

Additionally, many adult cats are just not keen on strangers...hence you may not find when visiting that the cats behave as they would with their owners. This is something that comes up in Rescue, many folk want to go meet the cat before adopting. With a shelter environment, that is possible and usually the animal would then be motivated to reach out to a stranger as they just want out of that place. But in general, when people go to meet a cat in the cat's home, the cat is only comfortable with the owner and is not motivated to interact nor bond with the new person...so we find the adopter will often back out thinking there is no initial bond they are expecting. You might find that the Savannah in that home you are visiting is not too interested in interacting with you initially... depending on how many strangers it has been exposed to in its life. So you might be disappointed and think as a breed they are not as interactive nor social as you are expecting, because of that one cat. Or on the flipside, meet an amazingly social one and have high expectations of your own kitten.

I understand that an F2 is a large investment of money, but I wonder if your research would be better driven by asking questions about specific concerns you might have? Is it the size, the ebullience...the troublemaking tendencies?

brominated

Savannah Kitten
Sure, the biggest question I have is the need for exercise and play. I have a decent sized townhouse, a 7' cat tree, and very few breakable objects, but are they okay being strictly indoor cats? If I can take him outside, I happily will do so. I have access to a large grass area out back to run around on a leash. There are trails near my house that are walk able, and even a pair of dog parks nearby. Will this be enough to keep a Savannah happy and out of trouble?

Also, the hissing, do they do that often?