Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feeding

L

Louie'sDad

I feed babies 3X a day and adults twice a day...sounds like you are doing a great job of feeding Louie, so I would not change a thing...recently there was a great article on finicky cats and how we are creating them by overfeeding...that article was the impetus for me to stop caving into wailing cats and switch them to twice a day, instead of more frequently...if anyone would like to see a copy of the article, I will find it.

Cats are not "finicky", they are just not hungry enough! Caveat: This DOES NOT APPLY to a baby or adolescent cat. In these cases, one MUST encourage them to ingest maximum nutrition.

Curious that you bring that up. Louie, at first, didn't enjoy salmon, which I grill at least once a week on the BBQ. I always buy fillets with the skin on, and "skin" it before grilling. For awhile, I would cut the raw skin into 1" squares and put into his dish as an "appetizer" before his regular feeding. He would refuse to eat this very nutritious, high omega-3 food. So, I would put it into the refrigerator if it sat uneaten for more than about 1/2 hour, and, of course, not feed his routine kibble/water ration. I would do the same with the cooked salmon meat that I'd offer him from my evening meal.

He now has developed a taste for salmon skin as well as salmon meat. Tough love can work wonders sometimes. I don't care, so long as my friend is getting the best that I can give him.

Last edited by a moderator:

admin

Paige
Staff member
And that is exactly what the article talks about...we call them finicky...but they are not...if we are constantly feeding them, then they are not hungry enough...absolutely correct...

ambiente18

Site Supporter
I feed babies 3X a day and adults twice a day...sounds like you are doing a great job of feeding Louie, so I would not change a thing...recently there was a great article on finicky cats and how we are creating them by overfeeding...that article was the impetus for me to stop caving into wailing cats and switch them to twice a day, instead of more frequently...if anyone would like to see a copy of the article, I will find it.

Find this article, please.
I feed my cats 2-3 times a day ( if possible 3 times), but I am changing food ( sometimes I add cans of soft food to a raw diet)... I try to cats do not get bored with food :)