Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Food help please...

Nitro

and his servant, Paul
so i pretty much just put a big red scarlet A on my chest in this online community didnt i lol =(

We're all still learning here, so don't feel that bad. Just feel good that you caught it this early on. But, yes, it's not a complete diet for him to get just the boneless breasts.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
haha thanks...yeah im glad i spoke up too because i would of just kept on doing my thing...so is what im feeding him actually bad for him? he acts like hes in kitty heaven!...but now i just have to find somewhere that i can find all of this...i dont even know where to start as far as finding non frozen organs lol
You can find beef & chicken hearts & chicken livers in most grocery stores as well as Mexican & Asian markets. Butcher shops too, if there's one near you.

Brandy DW

Missing Neka, Loving Sabriel, Nakaia, & Trance
Deborah would be be okay to just offer her the blue buffalo wet food like once a week or something? I like her more on dry food - the only thing I've seen against dry food is that it can potentially cause crystallization's in the bladder or something like that because of not enough fluid but that apparently happens rarely... What have you heard about an all dry diet?

Marissa

Savannah Super Cat
Deborah would be be okay to just offer her the blue buffalo wet food like once a week or something? I like her more on dry food - the only thing I've seen against dry food is that it can potentially cause crystallization's in the bladder or something like that because of not enough fluid but that apparently happens rarely... What have you heard about an all dry diet?
I'm not sure once a week is sufficient enough for her, it's almost best to just stick with the dry at that rate. (Sorry for the late chime in) I use to feed my guys all dry. Now they do get dry food offered constantly all day, but they don't prefer it except my one girl. I'm lucky though since none of mine over eat, which a lot of cats have a tendency to do. My guys get some sort of raw (chicken wings, turkey, occasionally pork, and occasionally beef, only two eat the "gizzards") I feed wet about 4-5 times a day in smaller than meal size increments.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/nutrition/why-dry-food-is-bad-for-cats-and-dogs/
I didn't read through that completely but it seemed like a good basis on reasons to not feed dry. Obviously I would be contradicting if I told you not to feed dry because I do, and I think it's fine since its helpful especially if you go away for a mini weekend or over nights. My best suggestion is stick with the dry, and it's very cost efficient BUT I would recommend incorporating other options in, daily, not weekly. It's a lot healthier for your kitty.

D

DocMac

They sell little buckets of hearts, livers and gizzards here in the meat sections. They one in containers like cottage cheese. I don't know where you live, but PEOPLE eat those things here.

Nitro

and his servant, Paul
They sell little buckets of hearts, livers and gizzards here in the meat sections. They one in containers like cottage cheese. I don't know where you live, but PEOPLE eat those things here.
There goes my appetite for the day.

But on another note, they make great bait if your kids are trying to catch crayfish. Well, liver did, at least.

gahnja77

Savannah Super Cat

blehhhh...i live in podunk waco tx so yeah....if its not at walmart we dont have it lol

I have a really hard time with my 7 month old boy. He has GI issues so I have him on DD prescription venision with green pea dry food. Now is stools are formed although soft, but no more diarrhea. I try to add in chicken with bone ground up but he turns his nose up at that. He is a very picky eater for a kitten. I have used digestive enzymes, probiotics, and vitamin B12 and that has helped him a lot.