Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Generation Question?

ginamarie1221

Savannah Super Cat
What a perfect place to ask this question!

As a future Savannah mommy, I've been doing my research and have of course, learned alot about the breed and where they've come from. I'm so fascinated and in awe of everything.

My question is this... Technically, how far up can a generation go? F7, F8, etc. Also, is there 1/2 generations with a Savannah? For example: F4.5?

These are all questions I know my wonderful breeder would be more than happy to answer, but since I'm already here reading on the forum, I thought I'd just ask!

Thanks in advance for any info!
-Gina

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
I'm not a breeder, so I can't answer that, but I do have an F9 Bengal and she's gorgeous!

admin

Paige
Staff member
What a perfect place to ask this question!

As a future Savannah mommy, I've been doing my research and have of course, learned alot about the breed and where they've come from. I'm so fascinated and in awe of everything.

My question is this... Technically, how far up can a generation go? F7, F8, etc. Also, is there 1/2 generations with a Savannah? For example: F4.5?

These are all questions I know my wonderful breeder would be more than happy to answer, but since I'm already here reading on the forum, I thought I'd just ask!

Thanks in advance for any info!
-Gina

Gina, here is the way we describe the generations...F1, F2, F3, especially F1 and F2 are EG (Early generations...F4 and later are later generations...

There is no 1/2 generation and I believe there are F8's out there right now...but there will be F9's, etc., just like the Bengal.

Trish Allearz

I thought Bengals were out to the late teens in generations?

Realistically- there will come a point when you will talk about Savannahs (as generalized SBTs) and then Savannahs as F1s-F4s, I do believe. Like the Bengals- when you hear of a Bengal now, you generally don't think to ask if it's F1-F2, but you just know it's a Bengal. If someone has an F1 Bengal, they will usually say that 'their F1 does this' or that.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I thought Bengals were out to the late teens in generations?

Realistically- there will come a point when you will talk about Savannahs (as generalized SBTs) and then Savannahs as F1s-F4s, I do believe. Like the Bengals- when you hear of a Bengal now, you generally don't think to ask if it's F1-F2, but you just know it's a Bengal. If someone has an F1 Bengal, they will usually say that 'their F1 does this' or that.

Yes they are...F15 I think...I was just giving an example but did not give the all the filial gen numbers ;)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Theoretically there is no limit to the number of generations one could go... and with time likely we shall see more with our Savannahs too. As said with the Bengals, you don't tend to ask the generation of them in shows anymore, although they will range from F4 through to F15...

ginamarie1221

Savannah Super Cat
My 1/2 generation question comes from the fact that I may be choosing a kitten from a litter that has an F2 mother and an F3 Chausie/Jungle Cat hybrid as the father. I believe they were labeled F2.5. I also saw a couple youtube vids of an F2.5 kitten with the same type of info :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
That is someone labeling them that does NOT understand how the generation thing works!

In that case, the kittens of that match would be both F3 Savannahs and F4 Chausies... the breeder could decide to register the kittens as either breed, but both would be outcrossed for that breed and have an A-registration code.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Gina, some breeders mention the theoretical %, which could be higher than the familial generational percent. ie. F1 =50%, F2 = 25%, F3 =12.5%, and so on. You get the idea.
If you breed a F1 female back to a serval, theoretically you could get a 75% F1 kitten. It's still a F1 as it is one generation removed from a serval.

Jason E

Savannah Super Cat
That is an...interesting way to label a group of kittens. I would hope it is this breeders first time...as it is a little wonky or maybe the first time using a jungle cat hybrid outcross. Brigitte pretty much nailed it. I believe they are considered to be hybrids until F4, which they are then considered to be Chausies instead. That sounds like it could be a great kitten though, jungle cat hybrids/chausies are great cats and similar to the savannah in some ways.