Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Harness and leash question......

Presley777

Savannah Teenager
What is a good age to start training my little one on a leash and harness? I'm having a hard time as it is putting on the harness and I don't want him to be more stubborn when he's older. Good thing is once it's on he doesn't seem to mind. Well....... until I attach the leash:(.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I start them as young as possible. In fact, I special ordered several xx-small jackets from Neta Doyle so that I can start kittens at 5-6 weeks of age.

Nikki LaCrosse

Savannah Teenager
As soon as they've had their first two kitten shots, they are okay to go outside. I would do any training before that strictly inside. We usually start by putting the harness on and they flop around like they're going to die until they forget about it and run around. Then we introduce the leash. I'm guessing you've got lots of dirty looks, LOL! I use a teaser toy or a treat to keep them motivated and not fixated on the leash. I do use a Flexi lead so they can have more room to roam but can also be reeled back in. I do think that the younger the better for introducing the walking jacket/harness and leash. It also helps to do it several times a week so they get used to it. One suggestion; always carry your cat out the door and across the threshold otherwise they may start darting out the door thinking it's time for a walk every time you open the door.

A

adamcrssmn

I start them as young as possible. In fact, I special ordered several xx-small jackets from Neta Doyle so that I can start kittens at 5-6 weeks of age.
You mean I could have been walking them for the last couple weeks?!?! Dangit!!!

D

Dantes

I started when I first got Duma at 10 weeks. I think it's easier to start young because they don't seem to care that they have a harness on. If you wait until later, they do this whole "I can't walk with this thing on" tantrum. It's funny to watch them walk sideways and pretend to fall down as if they can't walk, though.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Lol! The waking jacket tantrums are hilarious! Here we have the ones who flop over, quite paralyzed in the straight jacket; the ones who frantically bite and kick at it while giving me evil glares; and the ones who seem to not be bothered by it all and go trotting off to play proud of their new clothes :) They all learn to wear them readily, though some take a bit longer than others....

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I'd like to add that you should always carry your kitten out the door, if not in a carrier, than carry him backwards (in the carrier, too), and use a door if you can that you don't normally use to exit. NEVER let him walk out the door on his own! I also had to stop hanging harnesses and leashes next to the door; my one girl sees her pink jacket and starts meowing at me to take her "outside meow-now!" :) They do soon learn that walking harness=walks outside.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I started Taj at 3 months and he is a master walker ;) I started Zuri much later and while she will walk, Taj is still the master...

waitingforgeorge

George's brother
George started early and often and it has really paid off. Now when I get his bag out he jumps in and waits for the harness. He doesn't love having it put on so he complains but he knows he gets to go. The other day I was so proud of him, he decided to get out of the cart and walk in pet smart (I like to take him to see the birds and mice, like going to a high end jewelery store and browsing for cats) Anyway he walked all over the store, let people greet him and pet him but he didn't miss a shelf. He is always zipped in his bag to go through the door even if we are just going out to the barn. My only suggestion is get a good walking jacket from one of the ladies recommended here, the proper secure fit will put your mind at ease if you have to deal with a squirrely situation.

admin

Paige
Staff member
George started early and often and it has really paid off. Now when I get his bag out he jumps in and waits for the harness. He doesn't love having it put on so he complains but he knows he gets to go. The other day I was so proud of him, he decided to get out of the cart and walk in pet smart (I like to take him to see the birds and mice, like going to a high end jewelery store and browsing for cats) Anyway he walked all over the store, let people greet him and pet him but he didn't miss a shelf. He is always zipped in his bag to go through the door even if we are just going out to the barn. My only suggestion is get a good walking jacket from one of the ladies recommended here, the proper secure fit will put your mind at ease if you have to deal with a squirrely situation.

Cindy, what bag is George zipped into?