Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Harness and leash question......

John Popp

Site Supporter
I've used the Joykatz walking jackets since 2003...I love them! http://joykatz.net/walking_jackets.htm

I have found that properly fitted (the right size and they need to be firmly wrapped around their middle with no wiggle room) they are very secure. I've had to suspend a kitty more than once to bring to safety (aggressive dogs etc) and never had them wriggle out nor break out of the jacket.

There are other designs out there that are nice, Arden Morley of Camelottaspots makes some in some really cool fabric choices... but I keep going back to the Joykatz ones for the fit. They are a little curved in the cut around the neck that seems to sit better.

I haven't used any other than the JoyKatz jackets but they are definitely great. I also like that they are reversible and by request you can get them with two different fabrics. No self respecting cat should need to be seen in the same jacket all the time. Definitely have a collection of them and it looks like I'll need a couple more with a pending new kitten and Chongo getting ready to outgrow his current jacket.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I haven't used any other than the JoyKatz jackets but they are definitely great. I also like that they are reversible and by request you can get them with two different fabrics. No self respecting cat should need to be seen in the same jacket all the time. Definitely have a collection of them and it looks like I'll need a couple more with a pending new kitten and Chongo getting ready to outgrow his current jacket.

I like the Joykatz jackets as well...

That being said, I am liking the puppy harness much better than walking jackets, since they do not fall down when you first put it on and act like the walking dead...I feel the harness is much more secure, since I have had cats wiggle out of the jackets...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Is that the Puppia harness you are talking about? I've had kitties wriggle out of those but with a properly secure walking jacket I've not had an escape...except for Georgie who I tethered at a cat show (long story) and he managed to wriggle his fat butt out! That may be more that his midsection is bigger than his shoulders so no kitty harness would work...

admin

Paige
Staff member
No, I use the Puppy One, which has both straps adjustable...Puppia only has one...

LOL on Georgie ;)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It's the webbing around the middle that for me isn't as secure...I don't think you tend to get it as snug as with the overlapping velcro and they can wiggle their legs out. Personal taste I am sure, but that's my personal experience...

admin

Paige
Staff member
funny, I have had the opposite happen...I can't tell you how many times something spooked Taj and he wriggled out of the walking jacket...guess it just depends...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It makes a huge difference to have the walking jacket snug enough, most pictures I see of cats in them, the walking jacket is fastened too loose. Those elbows can wriggle back and they get out. But that's what happens with the webbing type fasteners as it is so hard to get those tight enough. I've had cats out on the street spooked and free of harness in seconds...and diving on the pavement to tackle your cat is not fun!

John Popp

Site Supporter
A quick tip with the JoyKatz walking jacket we learned. Always put it around their neck first as this will make sure you have the torso strap close enough to their shoulders that they can't get their front legs through. Doing things the other way around Chongo could get his leg to poke through if he was abruptly backing up.

admin

Paige
Staff member
It makes a huge difference to have the walking jacket snug enough, most pictures I see of cats in them, the walking jacket is fastened too loose. Those elbows can wriggle back and they get out. But that's what happens with the webbing type fasteners as it is so hard to get those tight enough. I've had cats out on the street spooked and free of harness in seconds...and diving on the pavement to tackle your cat is not fun!

yes...Taj as a kitten twisted his way out when scared and ran as fast as he could...I'm glad he ran home and waited for me to get there ;)

So far the kittens have not been able to get out of the puppy one harnesses...I agree that making the walking jackets tight enough is key, but for some reason I have a hard time with that...

I still use both...Ixas is wearing Zuri's walking jacket and has not wriggled out...Cinny wears an XS Puppy One harness...Ixas wears a medium puppy one, but I like the walking jacket better on him...