Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Healthy Diet

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
Can I ask what you are feeding now as this post was several years ago? I was going to feed raw (getting a new kitten next month), as many on this site seem to be doing that. My daughter, who is a new veterinarian, is adamantly against it though. She gave me numerous vet-written articles citing the bacterial issues and said there is very little to support the benefits over these dangers. I am looking into the highest quality canned and dry. I have found several reputable looking sources (which I can cite if interested). I may also supplement with what you have suggested and add cooked chicken and other organ meats. I currently give Fresh is Best Turkey Hearts as treats. Food is a touchy subject and everyone has an opinion. I am asking for yours. :) Thank you!
Just to let you know, that person has not been active on this forum since 2013. So I doubt you will get a reply from him.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Veterinarians almost always are against raw diets, since they are not taught nutrition in vet school. That being said, a raw diet had to be done correctly. You can find more info on that here... We have many links to diets. A high quality canned food is second best to raw imo. Cats are carnivores so meat should be their primary diet. I feed raw, chicks and quail and canned food... Bacteria has never been an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
I completely agree with Paige. My vets and I have an agree to disagree understanding about feeding raw. A well balanced raw diet is the best diet for cats since they are obligate carnivores. However an unbalanced raw diet is the worst thing for them. My vets know that I am knowledgable about their feeding requirements, some vets are anti-raw because they are afraid people won't do it correctly. But I do have to get the anti-raw lecture if someone isn't feeling well. Raw has never been the issue though.

KKLRx7

Site Supporter
Veterinarians almost always are against raw diets, since they are not taught nutrition in vet school. That being said, a raw diet had to be done correctly. You can find more info on that here... We have many links to diets. A high quality canned food is second best to raw imo. Cats are carnivores so meat should be their primary diet. I feed raw, chicks and quail and canned food... Bacteria has never been an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What canned do you supplement with? Has anyone used ZuPreem?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I'm not terribly keen on feeding a canned cat food that uses meat by-products and corn, although I'm sure there are worse products out there.

KKLRx7

Site Supporter
I'm not terribly keen on feeding a canned cat food that uses meat by-products and corn, although I'm sure there are worse products out there.
I agree. I really want to feed raw, but my daughter is so against it that I would feel bad doing it. I will probably go with a combination of freeze dried raw and canned to start; but, if I have any issues with digestion, I will switch to raw.

I have done a lot of research on raw, and I do honestly feel that it is the most appropriate diet. I think I would feel quite comfortable doing it. The issue would be when we go away and others might not follow the instructions correctly.

KKLRx7

Site Supporter
I like Weruva, Earthborn Holistics, Wild Calling and Natures Logic for canned.
The first two are shredded, the other 2 are Pate.
Thank you.

I have tried the first two brands (and many others) with my Maine coon without success. The only wet food he likes is Natural Balance. It is not the best, but it's also not the worst.

Weruva has the best balance of protein, fat, and carbs. It is also on the lower end for phosphorus. As of now, that is my wet food of choice for the new baby. I will also supplement with some cooked meats, freeze-dried turkey hearts, hrd boiled egg, gost's milk, sardines, and Stella and Chewy's freeze dried. That seems to make my daughter, the vet, much happier for now and I can live with that as a compromise. Any issues though, and I am going rogue with the raw. :)

I actually tried to go raw with my Maine Coon when I got him almost seven years ago, but I could not get him to consistently eat it even with all the tips and tricks. He eats the above combination fairly well though (with the exception of Natural Balance instead of Weruva). I rehydrate the raw with chicken broth to keep the salt down.

I also use the Glacier Point water fountain to encourage drinking.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Whatever you decide to go with, be sure you start by feeding your new baby the same diet that your breeder has giving. I wouldn't try switching food until he/she is well settled in, at least for a few weeks. Once you decide it's time, be sure to make the transition slowly, ideally over a period of a couple of weeks.

KKLRx7

Site Supporter
Whatever you decide to go with, be sure you start by feeding your new baby the same diet that your breeder has giving. I wouldn't try switching food until he/she is well settled in, at least for a few weeks. Once you decide it's time, be sure to make the transition slowly, ideally over a period of a couple of weeks.
Yes. Got it. Thank you all.