Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help...need to find a raw food supplement for my F4 Savannah with food allergies!!

gmizzy

Savannah Child
But remember, raw egg yolk is an excellent source of natural taurine.

Yes, I wish I could use them, but he cannot tolerate eggs either :-/ Believe me...he's been quite the mystery cat. Trial and error is all I can do. I just don't want to compromise his health.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Yes, I wish I could use them, but he cannot tolerate eggs either :-/ Believe me...he's been quite the mystery cat. Trial and error is all I can do. I just don't want to compromise his health.
Do you by chance have any idea how old he was when he was weaned and started on solid foods? I have been told that, just like with human children, if you start solids too soon before their gut has properly matured kittens will develop food allergies and intolerances.

gmizzy

Savannah Child
Do you by chance have any idea how old he was when he was weaned and started on solid foods? I have been told that, just like with human children, if you start solids too soon before their gut has properly matured kittens will develop food allergies and intolerances.

I don't know, but I could ask his breeder. We got him when he was 4 months old. He seemed fine for a few months and then symptoms started. I will email the breeder now and get back to you.

gmizzy

Savannah Child
He began weaning at 7 weeks old and was completely weaned by 9 weeks old. Seems normal, right?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
If the kitten weaned himself that was probably okay - although I usually see kittens start eating/experiment with solids at 6-7 weeks, in my experience most are not completely weaned (unless force weaned) until 9-11 weeks old.

gmizzy

Savannah Child
If the kitten weaned himself that was probably okay - although I usually see kittens start eating/experiment with solids at 6-7 weeks, in my experience most are not completely weaned (unless force weaned) until 9-11 weeks old.

Got it!! I guess it could be a possibility, but bottom line is that I have a kitty with food allergies....sigh. At least I'm getting a handle on what foods he can and cannot tolerate now. It's getting easier and I'm glad I switched him to a raw diet. It's been a lot easier knowing what exactly is going into his food.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Yes, you're able to create your own limited ingredients diet for him - that's the best!