Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

How to Know a Breeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Happened to me as well the first time around and the breeder said the same thing...I have learned from hearing stories and listening to people and will never do that to a prospective buyer!!!

Trish Allearz

OMG, this happened to me. I was in an active conversation with someone over a few days. I even said "I want him" on the 2nd day and "tell me what to do to send a deposit" and looking back I don't know how I could have been more direct about it, but instead of telling me what to do, she delayed and 2 days later he was sold to someone else. I felt like I wasn't even given a chance. At first I thought, well, it wasn't meant to be. But later after she apologized for "miscommunication" I realized I really was a bit heartbroken.

Personally, I prefer sites that are *not* flashy, as long as they are up to date.

UGH!!! Yeah- you can't be more direct, can you? I really don't know in those situations. On one hand, you feel relieved because obviously money is more of a motivation then a good home (at least that's how you feel), but on the other hand, you can easily become attached before even bringing the little one home! I tell ya- I was frantic when I saw Simon's photos- I was so worried he already had a home. I HAD TO HAVE HIM. LOL.

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
Better to go with recommendations than complaints. I have a Yelp posting but there is one fake complaint that was thankfully removed but is still viewable. I like to buy from smaller catteries where the there are not a zillion cats and a zillion kittens personally. Did you ask this breeder how many cats they have and how much time is spent with kittens? Unless they have hired staff, many multiple litters won't get the attention that one with fewer litters and honestly, a hired staff will never care for them like the breeder does. They just don't have the investment. My kittens are family. They are in my house. They have names and my kids give them nicknames etc. Not everyone will agree with me but this is my opinion and it will effect from who and where I buy. I would rather one steller recommendation from someone I know and respect that many from strangers.

Trish Allearz

Better to go with recommendations than complaints. I have a Yelp posting but there is one fake complaint that was thankfully removed but is still viewable. I like to buy from smaller catteries where the there are not a zillion cats and a zillion kittens personally. Did you ask this breeder how many cats they have and how much time is spent with kittens? Unless they have hired staff, many multiple litters won't get the attention that one with fewer litters and honestly, a hired staff will never care for them like the breeder does. They just don't have the investment. My kittens are family. They are in my house. They have names and my kids give them nicknames etc. Not everyone will agree with me but this is my opinion and it will effect from who and where I buy. I would rather one steller recommendation from someone I know and respect that many from strangers.
And I can vouch fire Kelly kittens since I have one :D

K

Kronos

I would like to share my story about how I found my Ragdoll, Solo. I too was looking and looking and sending emails to breeder after breeder trying to find "the one". It was a long search and fell heavy on my heart because nothing felt "right". At the time I was working at Petsmart as a dog trainer.

One day I got into a conversation about Ragdolls with a customer, and she turned out to be a breeder! She didn't have any kittens coming up soon but she had a partner she worked closely with and referred me to her. Turns out this referral breeder lived in the same city as me, and only a 10 minute drive away from my house. Talk about a sign.

After going to her house and talking and looking at health documentation and seeing he healthy happy kittens and adults, I felt at ease and really wanted a kitten from THIS breeder.

As the litter grew older, I started asking questions like "which kitten is the calmest, which purrs the most," etc. And she recommended Solo to me. The first time I went back with the thought in mind "this kitten could be the one", we picked him up and he flopped over on his back and fell asleep purring in our hands. Yeah he was our boy!

Moral of the story? Wait until it feels right.

admin

Paige
Staff member

You don't have to necessarily buy from a small cattery to get a kitten that is well socialized...my kitten was well socialized, beautiful, and healthy. She had a name and was well cared for and loved. What you like and what others like may be different and that is what life is all about.

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
UGH!!! Yeah- you can't be more direct, can you? I really don't know in those situations. On one hand, you feel relieved because obviously money is more of a motivation then a good home (at least that's how you feel), but on the other hand, you can easily become attached before even bringing the little one home! I tell ya- I was frantic when I saw Simon's photos- I was so worried he already had a home. I HAD TO HAVE HIM. LOL.

I have to say that I had people email that seems so interested then disappear forever. It is hard to really know and sometimes you just can hold out for window shoppers because they do exist. With my very first litter, I had a breeder I really want to take my first boy. He was lovely so I waited and waited then gave up to sell him to a wonderful pet home. 3 weeks later the breeder emailed to take him and I was so disappointed. He was too sweet to go as a stud boy tho' and would have been miserable. It was for the best.

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
You are funny! He was what we called "the jello boy" that let my 4 year old cradle him like a baby. I don't have a one quite that cuddly at this moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.