Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

I just wanna say... A random comments thread

I have read that feral cats tend to form colonies around a matriarch, and it is her daughters and granddaughters that tend to stick around, while sons and grandsons go looking for new territory and places to spread their awesome genes... So it may be female cats have more intricate social structures, and males are more geared toward basics, like whether or not they are in danger.

A bit off topic, but I find the inner world of cats fascinating, as unlike any other domestic animal they evolved to be free roaming and up until very recently always were able to come and go as they pleased, and were free to choose where they lived, but they naturally evolved to choose to have very close relationships with humans. Pretty much all other domesticated animals are hardwired to live in a herd or pack or flock with a social hierarchy humans have simply supplanted, and most the choices are then made for them, by humans. Animals that do not have this built in to their natures usually can’t be domesticated! So I find it peculiar that a so called solitary hunter would have the ability to develop such deep attachments and sensitive social skills as our family cats have, unless they are hard wired to have the same sort of relationships with each other... Which makes me think maybe cats never really were solitary hunters, and have always had a social side, and complex relationships, maybe sharing warmth at night and being solitary hunters by day? Anyways... if this social bonding tends to be matrilineal, maybe that is why female cats can be more picky about things?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Cat colonies are matriarchal with one ruling queen although breeding females work together to raise young. How well it goes when you introduce another female in the house depends mostly on who thinks she is queen versus who is queen and whether that dispute can be amicably resolved. That's one reason why introducing female kittens is easier than introducing adult females -- the queen doesn't see the kitten as competition. Remember that even if Bella accepts a female kitten, there's no guarantee that the relationship will remain friendly once the kitten reaches maturity. That doesn't necessarily mean you'll have warfare in the house. It may mean that the cats agree to share space but not affection with each other.

My 4 males are constantly shifting in their relationships with each other even after all this time. The 3 oldest are 12, 11, 10 and the youngest is 6. They all got along until about 2 years after each reached maturity and then things got crazy. One of my F2s spends half the day isolated from the other 3 because 2 of them want to kill him. These are cats who snuggled and played together for 5 years before trouble started. I still don't know what caused the rift between them. I'm jealous of people who have multiple cats that all get along. Makes life more pleasant.

Sean

Site Supporter
Mokkun and Tetsu came first into the house. They got the snip when Mokkun decided to mark my boot with me in it.
We never had any issues with pecking order with the boys. They were also the only two in that litter. Bella came along
later when she was about 18 month old and altered . I had very little issues with the introduction of her into my household.
I think the boys were just over a year old. After both the boys had passed away Xander came in to the house as a little
kitten. I had to keep him in strict quarantine for almost two months do to a gut bug. When it came out we had some minor
adjustments and that settled down quickly. Bella was queen with the boys and is now with Xander. She is quite laid back until
you cross that line and then she will let you know.

If I were to add a third cat I guess I would just have to do my normal intruductions and hope for a good match.
knowing the temperament of past kittens from what ever breeder I go to may help. But is not a 100% foolproof.