Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

I love it...

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I've learned to live with the "is it a cougar, tiger, etc" questions, but what makes me laugh was the change in my neighbors' attitude toward me when they found out how much an F2 costs. I can imagine their conversations around the breakfast table. Damn google.

B

Breheart

Those are all great responses! Funny to hear them all. Best I've gotten for Keljin was a shocked "OMG what is that, a baby leopard?" by an older gentleman when I took him in for one of his first vet visits as a baby. Too bad he won't get to be gigantic like I would hope since he is an F8. Maybe in the future I can afford something along an F1-3 ish.. It will stay in my dreams, maybe someday. It seems like most of the people on here, its hard to stop after just one! lol

Okay, lets talk price, for F1's, what makes one cost 8,000.00 vs one that costs 15,000.00? Males that will be fixed, not breeders so a nice pet. Not from a store but 2 differant reputable breeders, it is so confusing

K

Kronos

Okay, lets talk price, for F1's, what makes one cost 8,000.00 vs one that costs 15,000.00? Males that will be fixed, not breeders so a nice pet. Not from a store but 2 differant reputable breeders, it is so confusing
I think the more expensive one will likely be more typey. What males were used? The $15k SV might have something like an F4 sbt father and the $8k might not, making the more expensive one a higher percentage.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Sometimes it is the Serval %, for example I know that the 62.5% F1s are more expensive than the more "normal" 50% F1s... this would be for their rarity but also because I don't think they are easy to produce. Not many breeders have managed to get that % and so they are more expensive.

Then, some breeders might think that the market might pay more than $8,000 ...

Others might think that the work they put into producing those F1 kittens makes it worth it to them to ask. $15,000 for a straight 50% Serval to domestic F1 kitten seems like a lot to me though.

admin

Paige
Staff member
In addition to what everyone else has said, sometimes it is just the breeder...different breeders charge different prices...could depend on the age of the kitten, motivation of the breeder to sell, etc. But asking questions and researching will usually help you figure out why one price is greater than another.