Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to buy a savannah cat because

Kristin

Animal Communicator
I have a DSH, they play together sometimes. He thinks Zeddie is a pest, but he still enjoys her. I wouldn't say you need to worry about how they play. Size is never a guarantee...Zeddie is 9 lbs and Tiger is 12 lbs. If your kitty now is active, they should get along very well :)

Darlene

Savannah Adult
I didn't visit either of my cats, but I did get a TON of pictures. I have pictures of Kovu from hours old on up, she sent them almost daily. Nyah was older, she we got pics of her every few days until we picked her up. Both breeders spent a lot of time asking questions about our family, us, vets, other pets, etc prior to any deal being made. We were very aware of personalities before I laid eyes on either of them in person!

I don't have any domestic kitties, but there are certainly members here who do and it works. But, as also mentioned, Savannahs are high energy so you need to make sure that would be ok with your current kitty.
Would a breeder refuse to sell me one because I have a cat?

Kristin

Animal Communicator
I can't see why they would. Maybe only if they have a very antisocial cat that doesn't get along well with others

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
I don't see why they would! I think they would want to know about the cats personality to make sure there is a match. We have some great breeders on this board so they will give you feedback on their perspective.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Does the Savannah cat burn off energy if you take it for walks?
Sure. And interactive toys such as feather wands or playing fetch will too. These cats recharge quickly, though. If you work, playing for 15-20 minutes before you leave and definitely when you get home will help. So will having a companion kitty to play with during the day.

And the cat will adjust to your schedule somewhat. When I was working, mine all learned that 10pm was my bedtime and if I stayed up later, they still went to bed at 10. LOL. That said, it doesn't mean that you won't have the midnight race around the house.

Cats are crepuscular -- being most active early morning and early evening. So if you can get that early evening energy burned off, you increases your chances for a good night's rest.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum Darlene!
I'm sorry for your loss, but I am glad to hear you have brought a new family member home.
I am also in NJ.
I have three SV boys at home and I have to be honest with you, we have three different personalities and three different levels of smarts. Our F5 boy D is the smartest and most outgoing. He loves to go for walks and meet new people. Our F3 boy is the most determined and the most shy. He does not like leaving the house. Our F4 boy is not bright. He will be 2 in June, and he has not figured out his name yet. He is however a very nice and very affectionate cat, just not very bright. He will go in the back yard with us (on a leash and harness) but gets scared anywhere else, and he is shy initially with new people. He is however our cutest and our most affectionate kitty :)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Welcome Darlene! I'm so sorry for the loss of your special companion. I just want to comment that another kitten is not necessarily going to behave like your previous cat, even though in general he sounds similar to a Savannah's personality. Also, unless you are planning on getting an F1 or possibly an F2 (which you pretty much said you are not) you will not necessarily get a large cat, more likely it will be a normal, domestic sized cat - although the boys do tend to get larger than the girls.

I think it's actually a good idea to have another cat as a companion as a Savannah can get bored easily, and that's when he starts looking for mischief! However, if he has a companion to play and interact with he is less likely to go looking for trouble on his own. However, there are right and wrong ways to introduce strange cats to each other - and several threads on this forum that specifically talk about the proper ways to go about it.

As far as not seeing the kitten, well there are a few breeders in your area, but if you fall in love with a kitten from another state, it makes meeting it ahead of time a bit tricky. However, there are pics, videos, and Skype to help you 'meet' your kitten and get to know him. For some that is not enough, and that is okay, but for others it is all they need until they have that little bundle of joy in their hands at home.

Good luck with your search - I hope you find the perfect baby!!!

admin

Paige
Staff member
Welcome Darlene! I'm so sorry to hear about your buddy.

I am a breeder in NJ, so feel free to contact me. I will not have a litter until May, most likely.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
We contracted for Eddie, sight unseen, but have friends who have 2 of that breeders absolutely gorgeous kittens & that's the best reference any one could ask for...:in love:

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
Welcome to the forum Darlene!
I'm sorry for your loss, but I am glad to hear you have brought a new family member home.
I am also in NJ.
I have three SV boys at home and I have to be honest with you, we have three different personalities and three different levels of smarts. Our F5 boy D is the smartest and most outgoing. He loves to go for walks and meet new people. Our F3 boy is the most determined and the most shy. He does not like leaving the house. Our F4 boy is not bright. He will be 2 in June, and he has not figured out his name yet. He is however a very nice and very affectionate cat, just not very bright. He will go in the back yard with us (on a leash and harness) but gets scared anywhere else, and he is shy initially with new people. He is however our cutest and our most affectionate kitty :)
Awwwww! Little Special Mickey! :big grin: