Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Immunizations

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Savannahs ARE domestic cats and should be treated as such. There are some anecdotal stories of adverse events occurring when modified live virus vaccines have been used on exotics so traditionally breeders recommended using only killed virus vaccines on Savannahs as well. There are pros and cons to using both types of vaccines, but I don't think anyone can say that there is any right or wrong answer to the question of which is best.

There have also been warnings about using ketamine as an induction agent for anesthesia - but this is the same for all cats, regardless of breed. These days, ketamine is almost always used in combination with other drugs to create 'cocktail' as an induction agent. To date, I've not heard of any adverse reactions to the cocktail, and in fact have had it used on some of my own Savannahs.

Kanadian

Savannah Super Cat
Is the FeLV unnecessary even if your cat is indoors but you take it for walks and such? They can't be exposed at a vet's office or in the neighbourhood on a leash for example?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Is the FeLV unnecessary even if your cat is indoors but you take it for walks and such? They can't be exposed at a vet's office or in the neighbourhood on a leash for example?
FeLV is shed in nasal secretions, saliva and urine, feces, and milk of infected cats. Keep your cat from being bitten or getting close enough to another cat for sniffing to occur. I don't vaccinate my cats beyond their 1st for year and have never given them the FeLV vaccine. I used to take them for long walks on leash but got tired of neighborhood cats approaching so now they go out in a stroller and leash walks are short and in the vicinity of the house.

CheetahTwo

Savannah Super Cat
Just took my 6 mo old F2 in for his Pre-neuter checkup.....Vet told me he had to have distemper and rabies or no neuter....So, I had him get the 2 shots. He was lethargic last night, not himself at all.....I feel bad but he has to get neutered...I hope he feels better soon.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Has he not ever gotten his kitten vaccines? Cats can feel a bit punky after receiving vaccines but it usually resolves after a few days. I would not get him neutered until he has recovered from the vaccines though - he does not need to have one stressor piled on top of another...

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

CheetahTwo

Savannah Super Cat
Has he not ever gotten his kitten vaccines? Cats can feel a bit punky after receiving vaccines but it usually resolves after a few days. I would not get him neutered until he has recovered from the vaccines though - he does not need to have one stressor piled on top of another...

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
He got his first 2 rounds of distemper from breeder....Vet said one more....I held off on the rabies because vet heard a murmur three months ago....None heard now so he must of outgrown it as suggested, so that's good.