Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Kitty has started peeing on the carpet... again!

Abby2932

Site Supporter
I also agree on one (or more) large, open litterboxes with Cat Attract litter. I know open litterboxes are not at all visually appealing but using them and having your cat(s) actually use them is so much better than your house smelling like pee and all the frustration that comes with that.

In regards to the Anti-Icky Poo...trust us all when we say it is truly worth it. It is more expensive that other cleaners but it is the only product that I've tried that truly gets rid of the smell....not only to my nose but to my cat's nose as well. If they can still smell their urine on the carpet, they will still potty there.

Renee

Savannah Super Cat
Loks won't go number 1 where he goes number 2. I had major issues with him peeing on the carpet, couch, spare bed, etc. It takes time and patience and lots of Anti Icky Poo.

He has been wonderful for about a year with a separate box. He loves the Purina Breeze box for peeing. He barely fits in it, but it has been a god send for us.

Every cat is different. I'd try different litter and boxes. There is bound to have something work. The cat attract worked quite well, but was not the end solution for us.

Keep trying things until you find a solution! I know this is a terribly difficult situation to deal with.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
If you can't find Anti-Icky-Poo at a reasonable price, try Unique Distributors - it is as effective and may be less pricey for you.

Jacob Steel

Savannah Super Cat
I couldn't find any anti icy poo but i bought a carpet cleaner and have been using that every weekend. I tried a open second litter box and it seemed to help but she fills it so fast then stops using it, hard for me to keep up. Maybe ill try buying another self cleaning one and leave it downstairs.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Anti Icky Poo is available on Amazon... a general carpet cleaner is not going to adequately remove all traces of urine, and unless you do then a cat might continue to mark there.

Do you mean that a second litterbox (nonautomated) was favored but she doesn't use it when it is dirty? You might need to make time to clean it more often...how often ARE you scooping the box? I really think that if she is avoiding the automated box to use that second box you may need to make time to scoop boxes. She may need two boxes if you can't clean more than once a day.

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
You may also consider using a bigger box. I use a sterilite bus tub, fill it 1/3 full, scoop every other day, and change/wash it completely every few months. The tub is approx 3' long and 1.5' wide/deep and made of clear plastic. Don't recommend using the colored ones, clear only.

David Z

Site Supporter
I found with my 2 girls if I scoop the boxes once in the morning once in the evening I spend a lot less time scooping sometimes out of the 3 boxes I only have to scoop 1 or 2 of them a day depending on which they used. If I wait a day I spend more time as all three then need scooped. Takes less then 5 minutes a day if I'm on top of it and I don't miss a day which does happen.

Jacob Steel

Savannah Super Cat
Hmm I don't know where a Lowes is, I found anti icy poo very easy to get in USA, but I tried ordering it in Canada and had both my orders cancelled. It's also marked up about 200% from the USA prices :( I got a big Hoover carpet cleaner and some Pet Cleaning Solution. It removes the smell from me, but maybe shes still finding it. I had a scooping litter box (3rd as I have 2 automated ones) downstairs by the front entrance, she was using it a lot, but I had to scoop it every day and just sometimes its not possible. I noticed she uses the automated box on the main floor to crap and if she doesn't like it for whatever reason she craps literally right in front of it, its just the peeing that's the issue.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Unless the "Pet Cleaning Solution" contains enzymes and beneficial bacteria, I doubt it has removed enough of the urine trace odor for your cat, their noses are way more sensitive than ours.

Scooping one box once a day does not seem an impossible task, are you really not home enough to do that? Is it possible she's also acting out for lack of time with you?