Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Kitty nails

J.B.

Savannah Super Cat
Wyldthiingz and Dchap- i will make sure to not pick up an unwilling kitty! haha Those accidents sound very painful..

Michelle and Paul- its good to know they pull them in when they play! Thats some control, the cats i had when i were younger were super claws at playtime

Breanna- OUCH! My cat used to jump claws first on me too! Man its like little needles jabbing you. Its funny that he pulls them in when he's playing though haha It's like opposite of what i'd expect

And Marissa- Soft paws seem like more of a hassle than just trimming! I know cats scratch, i was just praying that maybe SV's scratch a little less ;)

I've had domestics that retract their claws when playing, and have taught others to do it. I was pleased when I first played with Zeus and he was very cognizant of not using his claws when playing.

A

AmyAndSimba

Soft paws are a pain in the butt.. but they can last up to a month and once you make it a routine to check paws everyday and slip one or two on if needed, you will be a pro at it! Now I say this only based on experience with my DSH, don't know if savannahs are more finnicky...

Marissa

Savannah Super Cat
Wyldthiingz and Dchap- i will make sure to not pick up an unwilling kitty! haha Those accidents sound very painful..

Michelle and Paul- its good to know they pull them in when they play! Thats some control, the cats i had when i were younger were super claws at playtime

Breanna- OUCH! My cat used to jump claws first on me too! Man its like little needles jabbing you. Its funny that he pulls them in when he's playing though haha It's like opposite of what i'd expect

And Marissa- Soft paws seem like more of a hassle than just trimming! I know cats scratch, i was just praying that maybe SV's scratch a little less ;)
I figured the soft paws weren't the way you would want to go, but still figured I would throw it out there. I love them besides them being such a pain to keep up with. :-/

J.B.

Savannah Super Cat
I figured the soft paws weren't the way you would want to go, but still figured I would throw it out there. I love them besides them being such a pain to keep up with. :-/

Yeah its a great suggestion! With soft paws can cats still retract their claws?

B

Breheart

Yeah I think the overall question though that I've noticed, is no. No difference in scratching more or less, each cat is different, among the habits they develop and the lifestyle they grow into in your home environment. Honestly Keljin doesn't really use scratching posts, or keep up with his nail maintenance and that's one of the reasons I end up trimming them myself. But yeah.. big ouch when he lands on me! I agree it was the reverse of what I expected. I am glad he doesn't use them as deliberate "weapons" :) They are just there, and he just doesn't realize it sometimes lol.

J.B.

Savannah Super Cat
Yeah I think the overall question though that I've noticed, is no. No difference in scratching more or less, each cat is different, among the habits they develop and the lifestyle they grow into in your home environment. Honestly Keljin doesn't really use scratching posts, or keep up with his nail maintenance and that's one of the reasons I end up trimming them myself. But yeah.. big ouch when he lands on me! I agree it was the reverse of what I expected. I am glad he doesn't use them as deliberate "weapons" :) They are just there, and he just doesn't realize it sometimes lol.

Yes that sounds very true! I don't think a lot of cats realize they have knives for feet sometimes :paw:

Marissa

Savannah Super Cat
Haha of course not. Somehow azul decided in the past few days she wanted to act like a real savannah cat, since then she has been playing and going nuts(all in a good way) I am Happy for her but even with my wand toys my hands are currently raw from peroxide and covered in band aides! Haha if only she knew to retract the claws, or let me clip them! Haha

admin

Paige
Staff member
Am coming in on the tail end of this (no pun intended). I'm not sure why people think trimming a cat's nails, whether it be a savannah cat or any other cat is not needed or wrong.

I started trimming all my cats' claws when they were kittens...it does not hurt them as long as you only clip the hook off the tip of the claw. Mind you, remember I have a cat walk, several scratching posts, a huge cat condo and two wrapped sisal posts for them to claw on. But their claws still grow and need to be clipped. Or...they may get stuck on furniture or in the carpet, the claw may grow too long and curl over on itself, causing pain, you may get scratched inadvertently, etc.

If you are going to show your savannah cat, you must clip their claws - no clipped claws, the cat will not be allowed to be shown...so why not just start early? I'm not sure what all the fuss is about...did I miss something?