Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Litter Boxes

waitingforgeorge

George's brother
What is your favorite type of litter box? Where in your house do you have it/them and what litter do you use? Is it hung right out for all to see or what tricks do you have for hiding it?

waitingforgeorge

George's brother
Right now I am loving my large roll to clean litter box. I have a thing for hoods so the litter doesn't fly and I like to hide it so it is in a cabinet with a cat door in the laundry room. I have just used fresh step clumping litter with my pound kitty for years but my breeder uses Natures Own so I am going to start switching over when I know George is born. Right now I am scouting around the house for 2 new locations to put additional boxes so I will have 3 with the 2 cats.

Julie

Savannah Super Cat
I'm lucky my boys are great. I switch clumping whichever is on sale. Right now using petco refillable available . 8.99 for 30lbs.

I have one "extra large" box with a hood by my back door in the corner.

Want to build a coat rack with square base to hide it better soon.

admin

Paige
Staff member
My litter boxes are in my utility room and I am going to put one in the bedroom closet. I bought them all at first and when Taj began to grow and get much bigger, he began to pee standing up. So I did some reading on the Internet and found an article written by a vet about her cats doing the exact a same thing. The article is here: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=litterbox

I went to Walmart, bought a 36 gallon plastic storage bin. cut a little door in it and all the cats love it. They need to have room to move around, etc. I also cut a hole in the top of the bin, like the Clevercat letterbox, but Taj hated it, so I removed it. Below is a pic of his letterbox...we did put a soft, flexible tubing around the opening and filed off the ought edges.

litterbox.jpg

admin

Paige
Staff member
As for litter...I use a combo of nature's Miracle and World's best...I am trying a new litter called P-Pod, which I really like as well...and I finally found a Tractor Supply Store about 30 minutes from me, so will drive and get a 40 pound bag of Equine Fresh, which is about $5.99, mix it in with the litter a bit and see if I can get them to use it.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I use large Sterilite and Rubbermaid tubs for my gang. I use both clay litter--cheap stuff from Dollar General @$3.00 for 20 lbs, and it's also semi-clumping, though it's not marketed that way, and pine pellets from my local pet store. They are a bit pricey at $7.00 for a 40 lb bag. I know it's cheaper at the TSC farm supply store, but every time I drive there to get a few bags, they are sold out :( Seems there is a draft horse breeder who buys them all whenever they come into stock...I tried hardwood pellets from a wood stove source for a while; very inexpensive, but they didn't hide the smell as well the pine does and also did not absorb as well or turn into sawdust.

K

Kronos

I am training my boys on the LK (litter kwitter system, to train your cat to use a human toilet). :) Before that, I was using the largest cat boxes available to get at any regular pet store. The boys use the Worlds Best Cat Litter and like it. So do I, because you can flush it!

Before the LK system my boxes were hidden. One was under a fish tank stand. The stand had a table cloth around it so the box was easily accessed by the cats but no one could see it. The other box was under the sink in one of my bathrooms, and I simply took one of the cupboard doors off. Guests didn't go into this bathroom often so I didn't mind the look of having a missing cupboard door.

Now of course with the LK the "boxes" are in both of my bathrooms.

K

Kronos

How is the LK system working?

Not so well at first for Kronos, but Solo is a natural. Right now I have the little fake toilet/litter boxes on the ground in front of the toilets. A few times when I just started this, Kronos would run around meowing frantically for no reason and then I would find that he pooped in the laundry basket or something. Then I realized the frantic meowing was a warning he had to poop. So now when I hear him "announce" that he has to go, I call him into the bathroom and show him the place to go and he has been doing very well. No accidents now for 2 weeks!

Soon I plan on moving the tray to the top of the toilet. I know Solo can use it on the toilet no problem, I tested him before and he did great. Kronos for some reason just seems to be a little slower at picking this up, or maybe he is a more sensitive cat and doesn't take to change quite as well. Good thing I am doing this while he is young!

I have heard this training can be a very long process, but I am patient. I really think it will be worth it in the end when I no longer have to scoop litter!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
We had our first two Savannahs toilet trained when we got Katie who thought every open toilet bowl was a wading pool and we had to abort the idea and close the toilet lids... I did like the idea of having them all toilet trained though!