Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Micro Chip (at what age)?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
The downside to waiting until the spay is that you have months of waiting where your kitten could escape and they wouldn't be microchipped... and with an intact female even at that young age they can and do go into heat. When in heat, the hormones drive them to seek a mate and they can get very determined to escape...hence the risk becomes pretty high.

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
I do my own a when they are 11 weeks old. They don't even budge when I do it. Because it sits under the skin between shoulder blades some can drift to side of the animal. But all are picked up by scanner.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
I do my own a when they are 11 weeks old. They don't even budge when I do it. Because it sits under the skin between shoulder blades some can drift to side of the animal. But all are picked up by scanner.
Wow, I could not even think about that.. I have a needle phobia... LOL, one time at work while I was on a tech call with a pilot and as I turned around he gave himself a shot (diabetic)... I had to turn the call over to someone else as I totally lost it... After that we made a deal that anytime he was to give himself a shot he was to tell me so that I would not in inadvertently turn around on him again... I would make a very bad drug addict.. I don't even like taken Aleve much less a shot of anything. I was in the hospital onetime and the doctor offered me pain medication... All I had to do was ask for it... 2 Days later he asked me why I had not asked for it because he knew I was in pain... I asked him if it was in a shot and he said yes and I told him that was why.... He changed it to a pill at that point.... I hate needles, and I never could do that to one of my babies....

Honestly, most animals don't even finch from the microchip needle. It is us at there other end that usually have issues with the size. I just get it done when my babies get altered at twelve to fourteen weeks.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Honestly, most animals don't even finch from the microchip needle. It is us at there other end that usually have issues with the size. I just get it done when my babies get altered at twelve to fourteen weeks.
I keep hearing 2 different numbers.. One is 5-6 months and the other is 11-14 weeks... Getting a little confused... Don't want to do it too late, but by the same token, do not want to do it too late either... What is the good number.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
For many questions you ask here you will get multiple answers... you make up your own mind given the reasoning behind the answers and what makes more sense to you.

cbain

Site Supporter
Chips are supposed to go between the shoulders blades but when the kitten struggles and the Vet can't control the cat it is a different story, when our kitten came home after getting his chip he had a small lump in the middle of his back on the right side, the next day I took him to North Coast Exotic Specialties and DVM L. Terihay examined him and their universal scanner DID NOT read the chip but their X ray did see it . North Coast is not a average Vet office they have a operating room.http://www.exoticpetvets.com/barberton/ the kitten stayed the night and was operated on the next day and got a new chip and the metal lump removed , our new Vet also examined our female Savannah that had been chipped at the same time, the scanner at Metro animal hospital showed a Home Safe chip in the right spot. The best thing you can do for your Savannah's health is to get a good Vet.and a good chip, we have 2 that we use and trust them with our spotted pets.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I keep hearing 2 different numbers.. One is 5-6 months and the other is 11-14 weeks... Getting a little confused... Don't want to do it too late, but by the same token, do not want to do it too late either... What is the good number.
There is no right answer, it is whatever you and your vet decide together is best to do - both on microchipping and altering.