Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

My F5 Savannah won't eat

J

Jon Swindal

My 1 year old F5 Savannah recently was spayed. She's always been a picky eater but since the procedure, she has hardly eaten anything, just a bit of raw hamburger and cheese. She will not eat dry kibble and we just tried Natures Variety Instinct Raw diet. After three days, she has only nibbled on it. Any ideas on how to get her to eat?

admin

Paige
Staff member
You really need to call your vet...she may have an infection or something else might be wrong...have you spoken to your vet?

J

Jon Swindal

She was given pain meds and antibiotics. Other than not eating, she is very alert, and she plays with our other savannah. You wouldn't really think anything is wrong other than she doesn't appear to be eating and she is a little underweight.

admin

Paige
Staff member
But if she is not eating, that is not a good sign...cats mask pain and illness really well and something might be going on. It is best to call your vet.

J

Jon Swindal

I will, but do you have any recommendation on what type of food to give her? I've tried everything from raw hamburger, chicken, chicken hearts, raw roast beef and fish. When she does eat, if it seams like she likes something, she might eat it for a day or two, but then not touch it again.

F/3

Savannah Super Cat
Try sprinkling Parmesan cheese on some raw food. They love it. Whenever simba doesn't want to eat thats what I do.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Have you tried something like meow Mix or Fancy Feast or even kitten food? She may not want to eat raw right now...just use something like that and see if it works...but if she is not eating, i would not wait to call the vet or you may have a very sick kitty on your hands.

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
We just went through a crazy mess with my foster cat after she got spayed. Her incision got super infected & her first symptom was not eating. If its been 3 days of no eating I'd get her to the vet. Also like Paige said, maybe try something that isn't raw. When Sarabi finally did start eating, she ate Fancy Feast, mixed with a high cal. supplement since she hadn't eaten in like 5 days.

Keep us updated!

J

Jon Swindal

I'm going to try the parmesan cheese trick mentioned above, Cassie really likes cheese and I'm going to call the vet when I get home. Will post results.
Her incision looks really good, not red or inflamed and she doesn't mind when I pick her up and it gets touched gently, she even jumps and plays like normal. She is drinking water regularly but just isn't eating the food I put out for her.