Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

My Kitten Dangers Checklist

#21
Yes, I always try to make sure that potential Savannah owners understand that they will be living with a perpetual two year old for the next 15 or so years, and they must be prepared to make that commitment.
Yes, perpetual two year olds, pefect description !! OH BUT how much fun life is when you have these guys around !!!
 

Katnip12

Savannah Kitten
#22
This is a list I give to my kitten customers. They find it very helpful, and I am sure there are other things to add...feel free!

Kitten Danger Checklist

****(If it's not safe for a young child, it's not safe for your kitten)****

Chocolate of any kind (can be fatal if enough is ingested)
Many house plants (especially lilies, ivies, cactus)
Cigarettes (including butts, matches)
Bread wire twists ties/plastic fasteners
Hair ties/ponytail holders (can cause intestinal blockage if not passed; consult vet ASAP)
Rubber bands
Staples, paper clips, thumb tacks
Milk jug rings (choking hazard) and bottle caps
Thread, yarn, any string, dental floss (if ingested, do not pull out. Consult your vet)
Garlic, onion, salt, grapes, raisins, alcoholic beverages, coffee, tea
Essential oils used as fragrance or air fresheners (can cause liver damage)
Antifreeze
Cooked bones (can splinter easily and be swallowed)
Recliners (check to make sure kitty is not under chair or inside of it)
Plastic bags and paper bags with handles (cut the handles off and use with supervision)
Cleaning products and room fresheners (use sparingly, keep locked up, use child and pet safe products)
Medications including vitamins (human and pet meds)
Saran wrap and aluminum foil (choking hazard)
Electrical cords
Mini blind cords (strangling hazard)
Toilets (drowning danger)
Washers and dryers (check before each use)
Sewing needles and pins, buttons, etc
Toothpicks
Cheaply made cat toys
Hot stoves and burners, wood stoves, refrigerators (check before closing door)
Candles left burning unattended
Very tall cat trees (attach firmly to wall or ceiling and use padding and/or carpet underneath)
Children's small toys (legos, lite-brite pegs, etc)
Balloons
Great list!
 
#24
Thanks for this list! I think any new cat owner should read this list, and as a new Savannah owner (he'll be here in 5 days!) I'm really grateful for this.

Quick question, how do you guys normally deal with your power cords? I have an extension cord and some power cords in my lab/office, was wondering how I can keep the little dude safe from those? I saw someone mentioned tubing?