Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Naming Your SV

ScottKelly911

Savannah Super Cat
I'm just curious how you came to name your SV's? I know a lot of people give them African names due to their African Serval lineage. Now that I've got a little Boy SV on the way, I've gotta come up with a name for him. I played around on Google with the Translater and translated words into Swahili and Afrikaans to see what they were. I thought that might be kind of a fun and cool way to come up with a name, then I thought it might be funny to have a funny/cute name like my turtle named Noodles because of his nose being long and skinny. Then I thought, maybe I'll name him based on personality or something funny that he does. My other cat named Chloe is named after one of my Campers when I was a Camp Director because they had the same blue eyes. My old Dalmatian got his name because every dog on his mothers side had some type of reference to a flower, plant or botanical reference. Every Dog on his fathers side had a regal formal name such as Sir, Mr., Miss, Madam etc. so his name was Hyacinth Mr. Aloof, the third part describing his personality as a puppy when I first met him at the breeder. My incoming SV's parents are named Ace and Neima. I'd love to hear your names and how you got them! :)

BTW, my nickname growing up was Mouse, so I looked it up and translated it to Afrikaans and it is Muis pronounced Mois like Moist without the "t". hehehe

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
lol.. Yeah.. I wanted Kovu to have an "African" type name. Then I was watching Lion King with Elijah & was like MUFASA! That is it! Sadly no one else in the house agreed with me (like always). So we started playing around with some more names & Elijah ended up liking Kovu (Lion King II) so thats what we ended up with. I think on paperwork Glenn actually put "Mr. Kovu Cat". lol

ScottKelly911

Savannah Super Cat
Those are all great names! Pam, I really like how you were able to combine the names of the parents :) Ashley, that's funny! One of my friends last night said to call him Mufasa from Lion King, you guys think alike lol

Keep em coming, I love hearing peoples names for their cats and how they came to be, thanks for sharing them :)

Julie

Savannah Super Cat
Miracle and Whip were named by the breeder. We kept the names they had.

Miracle was breech for a long time so she named him Miracle.

Whip runs around like crazy, hyper, fast and insane. Lol

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Those are all great names! Pam, I really like how you were able to combine the names of the parents :) Ashley, that's funny! One of my friends last night said to call him Mufasa from Lion King, you guys think alike lol

Keep em coming, I love hearing peoples names for their cats and how they came to be, thanks for sharing them :)

Actually, I pulled the name Simboya out of my, err, butt, lol! The breeder did not really care for my first choice...Bart Simsim (suggested by my grandson), and it was down to the wire for getting him named....:)

Since then I have found out the name is African in origin; there is an African-American Entertainment group in Cali with the same name as well.....

admin

Paige
Staff member
I did the African name thing...Taj isn't African, but I loved that it meant King or something like that...and Zuri means beautiful in Swahili...I do have a list of names and have a name picked out for my alter show boy (whenever I get him)...