Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

One Down, One to Go

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
Shady is now spayed as of April 1st. Triton is scheduled for his neuter on April 15th. Can't wait for everyone to be all healed up so we can get down to the business of introductions. Triton hasn't even laid eyes on Shady yet. I didn't think it would be a good idea while they both had their private bits in tact. I know it can take anywhere from 7-45 days for the smell of the male hormone to disappear, but what about the female?

admin

Paige
Staff member
Yay!!! Glad to hear it!

I just had Cinny spayed a couple of days ago...I have always had males and she is the first female I ever had spayed, so I am not sure as far as hormones and pheromones...I'm sure someone else will chime in with an answer...

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
Yay!!! Glad to hear it!

I just had Cinny spayed a couple of days ago...I have always had males and she is the first female I ever had spayed, so I am not sure as far as hormones and pheromones...I'm sure someone else will chime in with an answer...
Thanks! Can't tell you how excited I am to be moving forward with the furbies! This time around, it will be nice and slowwww! :) We've always had females, so this is a new experience for me, too.

Katniss

And her brother Crazy !
Well, let me just say!! both my cats are spayed and neutered, but Crazy in ALL over Katniss lately.. He is now 15 months and he is acting like a hormonal teenager... he jumps her from the back and bites her neck and stays there..his mouth like half open and pratically drooling.. It's ridiculous!! sometimes I actually have to put him in his room for five minutes to change his thought (or lack thereof!!!) so I think the hormones really don't go ALL away!! :devil:

Green eyed kitty

Mystique the dog/cat;Seraphimah spunky kitty
At what age is it best to get a Savannah spayed? She is an indoor cat, and my other male cat is fixed, so she can't get into mischief here.

She has been in heat twice now.

Our breeder gave me the option to breed her, with her cats. I don't think I want to have a litter? Unless she took Mystique and raised the kittens till they found good homes?

Not sure how that would be for Mystique

? Spay or not to spay? When?

Jason E

Savannah Super Cat
At what age is it best to get a Savannah spayed? She is an indoor cat, and my other male cat is fixed, so she can't get into mischief here.

Our breeder gave me the option to breed her, with her cats. I don't think I want to have a litter? Unless she took Mystique and raised the kittens till they found good homes?

I'm not a breeder or expert, but have read enough on this site to suggest that if your cat has gone through two full cycles then she should either be bred or spayed as soon as possible. There is a risk of pyo if she is not bred or spayed.

Sunny

Loyal Servant
From what I understand, it took a week for Isis my F3 female to mellow out after her spay. Her love for humans doubled or so in that time frame. :D It was difficult to tell if this was factoring into her mom being pissy with Isis still in the house, or from Isis being more assertive when intact.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member

I think if you want a pet, then spay her asap. Unless you truly want to be a breeder then there is every bit as much heartache as joy in breeding...and not as profitable as you might assume.

Don't assume you are safe because your girl is an indoor only cat... the number of times we get contacted about cats escaping the house and oops they haven't had her spayed yet. The hormones when they are in heat drive them to be more desperate about getting out to find a mate...

And yes, as mentioned, repeated cycling without being bred runs a risk of uterine infection which can be life-threatening...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
As to how long, cats can seemingly lose all urges immediately after spay/neutering...and some take some months. With males it may depend on how much hormones they are producing, or how sensitive they are to even low dissipating levels of hormones. I don't know with females, I've spayed a couple but none were exhibiting spraying behaviors at the time to see disappear. I'd judge it by ear, but if Triton is the last to be altered, then I'd guess by the time you think he's recovered from that then your female should be good to go too :)