Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Pancreatitis noticed from a full blood panel

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
I got the full blood panel work results back from this new pet hospital called Mostly Cats today, and it showed Newton was NOT low on Vitamin B12.....Vet wants to do another blood work in 6 weeks to make sure nothing going on and then do a ultra sound.

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
Glad to hear it, and glad you followed your gut and decided to find a different vet! Sounds like this one is on the ball!!! (y)
Hi Patti, thanks for responding..:) When I brought Newton for his appt. there, it was the best checkup he has ever had. She even noticed the soft lumps on his face and took a sample of one and checked it out...they are not cancerous which I knew, he has had them for years...they have gotten a little bigger though...she says they are mast cell tumors. And she also checked his heart and teeth, ears...

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
Did she grade the mast cell tumors? These actually are considered a form of cancer in that they can metastasize to other parts of the body. I don't know if you researched them but here is a good article that is pretty informative: http://theveterinarycancercenter.com/resource-center/feline-mast-cell-tumors
The vet did a fine needle aspiration and checked it out....they can be removed she said, and he just has to be sedated for that...but at his age, almost 12yrs old, and if not cancerous and he had them for awhile, just leave them alone. If I remember right, I think, Rascal Dad said his cats have them lumps also......we got our cats from the same breeder, SE...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I am glad that you were happy with the new vet and that he seems to be not needing the treatment the other vet had advised. I hope Newton stays well for many more years now!

I had thought mast cell tumors were more worrisome than that, but had not done reading to know the different grades and seriousness of them...

admin

Paige
Staff member
I got the full blood panel work results back from this new pet hospital called Mostly Cats today, and it showed Newton was NOT low on Vitamin B12.....Vet wants to do another blood work in 6 weeks to make sure nothing going on and then do a ultra sound.
Glad to hear you liked the new vet and Newton's bloodwork was good. Hopefully he will continue that way!

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
Glad to hear you liked the new vet and Newton's bloodwork was good. Hopefully he will continue that way!
Thanks, :) as long I don't have to go to a specialty hosp some day...the closest one is in Crystal Lake, Illinois an hour away called Companion Animal Specialty & Emergency Hospital.....This is a older lady vet also, might be retiring soon, I'll bet...It always happens when someone good shows up.;)