Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Pancreatitis noticed from a full blood panel

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
I don't see why you shouldn't be able to find a good vet in Rockford. For instance, just doing a quick Google search I find Bellwood Animal Hospital which says it not only provides emergency services but also provides 'exotic pet medicine'. If they treat exotics they should certainly have no problem with a Savannah.
http://bellwoodvets.com/
Hi Patti, thanks for referring Bellwood but I'm pretty sure they only handle small exotics....When they see my almost 23lb savannah, I'm sure they might not be too sure about him...I will check it out though...I went to them about 12 years ago with my regular cats...If you guys can find somewhere else, not to far from Rockford, Illinois let me know....Thanks again..:)

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
I don't see why you shouldn't be able to find a good vet in Rockford. For instance, just doing a quick Google search I find Bellwood Animal Hospital which says it not only provides emergency services but also provides 'exotic pet medicine'. If they treat exotics they should certainly have no problem with a Savannah.
http://bellwoodvets.com/
Hi Patti, I called Bellwood Animal Hospital and they told me that they don't see Savannah's :(just as I thought...they referred me to some animal hospital in Niles Illinois, that's near Chicago area. The GOOD news is I contacted a place for Newton called Mostly Cats in Rockford here, and they said they DO see Savannah's....they have 2 vets there and one see's them. I have a appt. next week on Wednesday to do the bloodwork over and for another exam......I hope that place works out.:)

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
I picked up the lab work on Newton and it says very elevated pancreatitis value, rec Vit B12 .... Very elevated PSL fPL level 232 (8-26 U/L).....has to have Vit B12 injections, 0.5 ml SQ every other week x 6 treatments. Then it says on another page, PresisionPSL elevations correlate closely with abnormal PLI concentrations. In cats with appropriate clinical signs, this PrecisionPSL is supportive of, but not definitive for a diagnosis of pancreatitis. In cats without clinical signs of pancreatitis, a mild elevation is an insignificant finding. I'll have it done over at the other vet hospital and see what they say.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
http://precisionpsl.com/faq.html although it lauds their testing as being more specific for pancreatitis STILL advocates not diagnosing the condition without other factors,
"The diagnosis of pancreatitis is still best made using a combination of careful clinical examination, a review of clinical pathology data, and radiographic and ultrasound findings. "
It seems that that vet diagnosed solely from that one finding, if you say your cat is healthy and rarely throws up. They probably thought there is little harm in the vitamin shots, but to say the cat needs them regularly for the rest of the cat's life speaks of profit for the vet hospital more than anything ...

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
http://precisionpsl.com/faq.html although it lauds their testing as being more specific for pancreatitis STILL advocates not diagnosing the condition without other factors,
"The diagnosis of pancreatitis is still best made using a combination of careful clinical examination, a review of clinical pathology data, and radiographic and ultrasound findings. "
It seems that that vet diagnosed solely from that one finding, if you say your cat is healthy and rarely throws up. They probably thought there is little harm in the vitamin shots, but to say the cat needs them regularly for the rest of the cat's life speaks of profit for the vet hospital more than anything ...
On the paper here it said only 6 treatments....the vet told me every 2 weeks, so when she said it that way it sounded like for the rest of his life......I still would like to find a specialty pet hospital...this one called Mostly cats is not.

Patti

Admin
Staff member

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
Unbelievable... :(

Very glad to hear it, I'm sure they'll be great!

What does this mean? There is no reason to give Vitamin B12 shots unless Newton's levels are low.
Hi Patti, I don't know what rec Vit B12 is......I have an appointment Wednesday, June 8th next week. I will show the new vet the lab work and ask her. And that Bellwood hospital did say they WILL NOT see savannahs(n):(...the head vet over there referred a Specialty Hospital in Niles, Illinois called Niles Animal Hospital and Bird Medical Center about 1 hour and a half to get there.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
The pancreas creates intrinsic factor, an enzyme needed to absorb B12. Low b12 is confirmed thru blood test. Symptoms are vomiting, decreased appetite and lethargy. Did they specifically test for B12? If I remember correctly, the cat has to fast for the test.

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
Hi Rafiki, no, this vet didn't actually test for Vit B12...She tested for anything that could be wrong just on this blood work. She didn't even want to look into doing more tests, a better clinical exam or ultrasound etc. And she really doesn't have any hands on experience with savannah cats also, where this other vet has...I'm glad I left! I contacted the new vet hosp by phone this morning if I should have Newton fast....haven't heard back from them yet....