Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Peeing on everything

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I have to try and avoid most scented things. The AirWick stuff just having someone driving a spike into my head.
The headache is so bad.
Oh yikes yes!

Years ago, we had a 6 month old kitten surrendered to Rescue, she insisted he had chronic upper respiratory infections no matter how much she treated him. I went to pick him up (as I was close enough to foster) and the moment she opened the door I almost had an asthma attack. She had four cats sharing one litterbox that she reportedly cleaned once a week...and her way of dealing with that was to use a LOT of plug ins and scented candles and the like. I couldn't breathe in that house. Got the kitten home and he'd stopped sneezing in my car and never once sneezed at my home. His sinuses cleared up and I've just seen him again after ten years or more and he's still healthy as can be.

Sean

Site Supporter
It seems that a lot of people just don't get it when it comes to using the stink bombs to cover things up.
The easy to fix a cat box smell is to clean it. And as far as the essential oil things go the best place of
them is the same place you just dumped the litter or the trash can. I can't go into Bed, Bath and Beyond
and the place I used to pick up supplements I take added one of the oil dispensers and the manager of
the store had the nerve to tell me to cure the headache they caused go drink some coffee. I think it time
they banned the use in stores do to the health hazard. That is why I am so leery or using the things
that put the "good" cat pheromones in the air. Also that is part of the reason I like to use the pine pellets
for litter. No Tidy Cat cover the cat smell up perfume. I had to use it for a short time with Xander to get him
converted to pellets. I think it likes it better. The switch went very quickly.

M.Cass

Savannah Kitten
I’m having the same problem with my male, he’s a 2yr old F6, neutered male, plus we have his sister from the same litter, and a stray that we took in. Last yr we had to evacuate for hurricane Irma, taking Tango & Sierra with us. It was after we came home that Tango started peeing in the upstairs bedroom, I put a calming collar on him, feliway diffusers all over, and put a litter box in that room, & added A box in our bathroom. I thought the problem was solved, NOT, he’s peeing everywhere, he peed on our bed in front of my husband, peed on the guest bed, peed on clean towels, pees on our slider in our bedroom, pees in the upstairs hallway, pees around the baseboards. I’m at my wits end, I’ve been giving him calming treats, drops, pills, he gets a fresh calming collar on every month, I have feliway diffusers in every room, some have several, I just started him on CBD oil, I have a severely autistic nephew, and CBD gummies help calm him, so I said why not try, I have 5 litter boxes for the 3 cats, they have 3 cat trees, we go for an hour walk every night. What else should I do?

M.Cass

Savannah Kitten
I’ll call our vet, I’m almost positive it’s not a health issue, when he doesn’t get his way, as in, if we can’t go for our walk due to thunderstorms, he’ll attack his sister, he gets bored easier than the other two, he’s very high strung, he starts crying to go outside 2 or 3 hrs before we can take them, we live in Florida, so it’s the heat, we wait til later in the evening, and this upsets him, I’ve had animals my whole life, he’s definitely a handful. A2FFCE29-BE59-4118-BCD8-5573540DF1A7.jpeg

David Z

Site Supporter
Amara gets extremely pissed off if I make her weight to go outside in the evenings she usually finds something to destroy.
Might try different litter. Or if boxes are covered uncover, if uncovered get boxes with covers.
Try some cat attract litter.
Be sure to clean where he has gone with anti icky poo, as regular cleaners will never remove the scent completely, making him to just want to reuse that spot.
He's very handsome btw.

Akila

Site Supporter
He is handsome!!! I have not had any problem with the feliway..... I have an extremely acute sense of smell and it has no scent to me.
I think Akila’s problem is definitely stress, because she only pees outside the box when Kebi is extra obnoxious!!!

M.Cass

Savannah Kitten
Amara gets extremely pissed off if I make her weight to go outside in the evenings she usually finds something to destroy.
Might try different litter. Or if boxes are covered uncover, if uncovered get boxes with covers.
Try some cat attract litter.
Be sure to clean where he has gone with anti icky poo, as regular cleaners will never remove the scent completely, making him to just want to reuse that spot.
He's very handsome btw.
Thank you, he is a pretty boy, he weighs 15lbs, and he’s long & lean, his sister is pretty too, she has a round face with rounder eyes, but I just ordered the anti icky poo, I’ve used numerous other Odor removers, but I can still smell it, my boxes are a mix of covered & uncovered, I have 5, his peeing got worse when we found out that our stray Echo wasn’t neutered, he was a late bloomer, even our vet was shocked, so he had to have major surgery because only one testicle dropped, while giving him medication one night he got scarred and peed, since then my Tango boy has gotten worse. He’s a handful, but I wouldn’t trade him for anything, he’s so smart, he knows commands, and he can be so loving at times, I just need to get his peeing under control.

M.Cass

Savannah Kitten
He is handsome!!! I have not had any problem with the feliway..... I have an extremely acute sense of smell and it has no scent to me.
I think Akila’s problem is definitely stress, because she only pees outside the box when Kebi is extra obnoxious!!!
Thank you, Feliway worked the first time, when he started peeing after we evacuated for hurricane Irma, it stressed all of us out, but it doesn’t seem to be working now, I myself am hypersensitive to odors & smells, I can smell the feliway diffusers, I can also smell his pee spots no matter how many times I clean them, I’m really hoping the CBD oil helps him, nothing else has so far.

David Z

Site Supporter
Could be he is just trying to be alpha and still picks up the scent from Echo's accident, anti icky poo is the best for scent removal, hopefully that works.

If it does turn out to be a behavioural issue, u might try finding him a energy outlet, cat wheel or if u have a patio turn it into a catio so he can go out before his walks maybe even put a litter box out there for him add a kitty door u can lock and unlock so he can go to the catio when he wants while your home.

Pics of Echo and his sis to please.