Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Please Don't Buy a Savannah Cat if...

admin

Paige
Staff member
You would have to look it up, Steven. I have Trupanion... Some people just do not have thousands to put out for an emergency... Has nothing to buying from a reputable breeder... Things happen...

Paige
Owner, Savannah Cat Chat
Agato Savannahs
TICA Legislative Committee
SV Breed Section Committee
SV Rescue Coordinator

Patti

Admin
Staff member
My thinking is, providing a healthy and viable kitten, from a reputable breeder, with diligent child care & regular vet visits, that's the best insurance investment one can provide.
It only takes one $5000 vet bill from a bowel obstruction due to a swallowed piece of toy or other non-digestible item to make you realize that pet insurance may be a good thing...

NikkiA

Site Supporter
My little Mickey is uninsurable. He is unable to tell the difference between food and not-food.

We are in a little over $7k in vet bills, and he turns three next month. Healthy? Currently. Happy? Oh my gosh yes. Smart? That's a no. Hasn't figured his name out yet. Loving? Unbelievably so.

I wish I had pet insurance on this little guy. The first $5k was in his first 6 months. He has a thing for dimes. And buttons. For some reason he feels compelled to steal them from pockets and wallets/ chew them off of clothing, and swallow them.
He may not have gotten any smarter, but we try to be more aware.

If possible, buy the pet insurance says the mommy to the really sweet but really not bright F4 Mickey Blue Eyes.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Pet insurance does not cover the basics such as inoculations. It is for the major unexpected things. We have gone back and forth on whether or not to buy insurance. But, like John C said, when it comes to my babies' well being, finances don't play much into the equation. That was part of the torture of being at the emergency vet on Thursday.....they kept wanting to give us a detailed estimate for everything we discussed and my husband and I really only wanted to talk about what was best for her. Waiting for them to type up the estimate and return to our waiting room seemed to take forever!

I've had the same frustration.... they have to go through the rigmarole of getting you an estimate and all I care about is my cat getting whatever is needed...cost be damned! I know though that not everyone can make that decision...

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
I've had the same frustration.... they have to go through the rigmarole of getting you an estimate and all I care about is my cat getting whatever is needed...cost be damned! I know though that not everyone can make that decision...

I can't truly say that Insurance is the way to go... Jake is 14 and has been healthy all his life... Only been to the vet for checkups... Even today at 14 years old he is very spry and sometimes even gets aggressive with Elsa (playing of course). I considered insurance for Elsa, but in the end did not go that way. Cost about 1100 for her episode with the vet at an early age... No matter what, they come first as they are my family, and taking the cheap way out of using the Blue Juice is just not an option.... As I have said before, they are my family... They greet me when I get home, they eat dinner with me, watch TV with me, and sometimes Elsa even helps me on the computer.... When it comes to their health and warefare, that is first and highest priority.... To even think about returning one of them because of health issues is the same for asking for new parents because your current ones require a lot of nursing care... I remember almost 2 years ago I lost Sylvester, my beloved cat for 14 years who passed away in his sleep, at home was diagnosed with Kidney Failure... I did everything I could do for him (Fluid Treatments and more), and funding was not an issue... Other things could wait.... His passing was the hardest that I have ever dealt with, even more than any human I have ever known.

admin

Paige
Staff member
John, for you it may not be, but for many others, it is a lifesaver... As I said, many of us do not have thousands at our disposal, should something go wrong... I have it on all my cats and am glad I do.... They are all healthy, but accidents and such happen.

Paige
Owner, Savannah Cat Chat
Agato Savannahs
TICA Legislative Committee
SV Breed Section Committee
SV Rescue Coordinator

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Pet insurance does not cover the basics such as inoculations. It is for the major unexpected things.
Dice - I just got back from the vet and asked about pet insurance while I was there. The insurance plans I looked at in the past did not cover routine exams and vaccines but apparently "Pets Best" and "Embrace" do. Some plans have a yearly cap, some don't. Some cover alternative medicines. Some have specialized coverage plans for those on a limited budget. The emergency vet had info on Trupanion and Petplan in addition to the ones I mentioned above. They also said that Petplan (Healthy Paws) was in the process of updating their coverage. I think that when we last looked into it, I was simply overwhelmed by the choices as all had varying levels of coverage and deductibles to consider.

Kristin

Animal Communicator
hmmm, really??? Haven't found the vet bills any more spendy than any other animal I would own. Sure, high quality food can be a bit more expensive than say meow mix, But come on, I just laid down maybe $11k for some kids, and I'm not willing to spend one large to maybe 1/2k for vet bills???

K, this whole pet insurance thing is a bit confusing, are you saying pet insurance is cheaper than regular planed check ups and inoculations & alterations???? Find that hard to believe. Course now that I have 5 felines, it may bare some investigation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending them, just giving the popular perspective of folks. I spend more money n the cats then myself, and would go without eating rather then have them miss their raw meals. I am becoming an herbalist so that I can treat them naturally and have an understanding of how the body works. And that perspective isn't limited to Savannahs. My sister did that with her 2 dogs. Lots of people think a 'free' kitten won't cost them a dime...until the fleas, mites, poo diseases, shots, neuter/spay, meds....

I didn't get pet insurance because I worked at a vet when I got Zeddie. I figured they wouldn't be able to help me more than the vet. Now I'm gun shy because both savannahs have pre existing conditions