Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Please Don't Buy a Savannah Cat if...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
One of the more ridiculous stories on that theme of moving was one years ago where we in Rescue were contacted by someone who said he had to give up his Savannah because he was moving from IL to CA. So I replied that he would need to ship the cat to us here in CA and he didn't even BLINK at that...okay he says. Ummm, if you can manage shipping the cat to CA why was it impossible for you to take it with you?

What we often read between the lines of those surrendering a cat is that it is no longer convenient to have a pet. I'd probably like it better if they just said that. There ARE those that truly have no choice, and those cases make me sad for the people involved... but for most, it simply comes down to a pet is work and a Savannah can be more work than most as they are not couch potato kitties.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Add moving to your list! I never understood getting rid of a pet because of a move. My husband retired from the Army not too long ago, and we always had pets, and they always moved with us. If I can move fromTexas to Maryland with my dogs, cats and horses with my children by myself as my husband was deployed, others can too. My father was in the Army as well. Our animals went with us, to include Germany. It never occurred to me that our pets wouldn't go with us...they were part of our family!

Good idea Becki! I was an Army nurse for eight years and would have NEVER given up my animals...glad to hear your family is/was the same ;)

NikkiA

Site Supporter
I am getting on my horse here, but I would add to your list cost.
I find it infuriating when people say "I can't afford to have my cat do X", and then declaw the kitty, or don't take it to the vet etc.
If you can't afford to care for a highly intelligent, interactive, social animal, you shouldn't buy one. Now, I'm not saying circumstances can't change, and that our cats don't do some really stupid things, but c'mon. If the cat "budget" is insufficient at the beginning, things are unlikely to improve as the healthy kitten becomes older if it lacks preventive care when it is young.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
#3 is the one I find most infuriating...those that get a dog or cat to "baby" before having their human baby, and thence "have to" discard that dog or cat once human baby arrives because they don't have time or the pet acts out at the strange smelling and behaving intruder :-(

And "research" does not just entail looking at lots of pictures on the internet and investigating pricing...

I feel a tad cynical today...

I agree 100 percent... The cat was there first, and people need to think before they make the big decision to have children...

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Add moving to your list! I never understood getting rid of a pet because of a move. My husband retired from the Army not too long ago, and we always had pets, and they always moved with us. If I can move fromTexas to Maryland with my dogs, cats and horses with my children by myself as my husband was deployed, others can too. My father was in the Army as well. Our animals went with us, to include Germany. It never occurred to me that our pets wouldn't go with us...they were part of our family!

I had to move with my pets a couple years ago... Both moved real well (1 dog, 1 Cat (not Savannah)). When I move they go with me... I treat my pets as equals and not pets. When I eat dinner, we all eat dinner. My dog and Cat (before he passed away) when it is bed time, I do not have to make any motion... All I have to do is say "BED TIME" in a calm voice and they both would beat me to bed... Sometimes running over each other. They found out early that the last one to bed goes under covers. I sleep in the center, and my dog on the right and cat on the left. They also found out early that when I am cooking dinner that begging for food does not make it come faster, and as a matter of fact slows things down... Therefore, they both would wait by their respective plates until I delivered it to them... Never a problem with sharing with these 2.... My dog is now 14 and my cat passed in July at the age of 15.

When I purchased this house, I had both of my pets in mind and were part of the planning. I only lock them behind doors for time out when they have been bad and that rarely happens... Even though it will be hard, putting my new kitten in the bathroom will be the hardest part of bring her into my new house, especially at bedtime (even though I know it will be best for her.)

Oops.. got carried away.. me and my big mount/fat fingers :)

NikkiA

Site Supporter
Our boys are our babies.
We waited to get them until we bought our house, and they are here to stay.
If a human baby joins our family in the future, that would be wonderful, but our boys are not going anywhere.
Just my $.02.

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
Our boys are our babies.
We waited to get them until we bought our house, and they are here to stay.
If a human baby joins our family in the future, that would be wonderful, but our boys are not going anywhere.
Just my $.02.
I never got rid of animals because of human babies. Again, never thought of it as an option! My 2 year old (bonus baby!) reminded my 15 year old of the rules when petting kitties. "Quiet to pet kitty cats. No screaming, no in face, not like a kiss and no chase!" Of course there are occasions where I hear "no Nyah/Kovu, mine bunny/bear/snack". I hear it when the dogs "borrow" a shoe as well!