Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Please help!

John Popp

Site Supporter
Well the instructions I got from our vet when the boys were neutered were to keep him calm s well. After a long pause they said, "Well do your best".

My boys were both definitely fired up after the anesthesia and it wasn't until they were locked down that they actually got some rest.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
Well the instructions I got from our vet when the boys were neutered were to keep him calm s well. After a long pause they said, "Well do your best".

My boys were both definitely fired up after the anesthesia and it wasn't until they were locked down that they actually got some rest.
+1
My boys did not wear a cone, we had no problems with licking the incision either.

D

Dantes

+1. Duma went nuts for the first few hours as I recall. I just let him tire himself out and nothing ever happened, by the next day he was back to the usual.

kittykitty

Savannah Super Cat
thanks for all the advice! I had a neighbor watch him while I was out and he is just fine! he goes to lick the wound every now and then but if I redirect his attention he leaves it alone for a while.

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
Kovu had no cone and keeping him calm is not humanly possible. His neuter was more invasive than most as only one testicle dropped, and he still was a maniac. He was fine. He didn't lick the wound either...but Kovu has had an aversion to grooming or being groomed since tiny, tiny kitten hood. His "aunt" at the breeders helped raise the kittens, she deemed him a juvenile delinquent as he wouldn't sit still to be groomed. Nyah tries to groom him too and he tolerates it a few seconds, gets squirmy and runs away or starts to bite her until she leaves in disgust. I swear she says "fine, be stinky. I wouldn't have to groom you if you would do it yourself like a normal cat!"

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Jammu, my male Pixie bob, had zero issues. When the breeder picked him up about an hour after the neutering, he managed to let himself and his brother out of the carrier on the way home. She videotaped it and Jammu was just kneading and a purring. Needless to say, no cone needed.

My kitten was neutered today and the vet was concerned because he was licking the incisions and sent him home with a cone. We have been home an hour and a 1/2 and he has already managed to get it off or 1/2 off 3 times. I used some duct tape to stop him from prying open the tabs using the furniture. But the 1/2 off is scary because his lower jaw is outsde the cone and the rest of his head is still stuck in it. And he was wanting to play already and going places like the backs of chairs and counters. Which is dangerous wearing the cone. My cat carrier is really small and there is no doors in my house or a battroom.Thankfully he is having a nap right now, but the vet said to keep the cone on a week. I can't see how this is going to be possible. I was not expecting this. When my last cat was neutered there was no cone and no peoblems at all. I can't stay awake all night watching him. And he does seem to want to lick what is left of nis balls. And because he is so long and his neck is so long I am not even sure he can't do this wearing the cone. He seems to be getting very close. I am kind of freaking out. I don't want him to hurt himself.