Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Please help!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think that bitter sprays and ointments can be irritating to fresh wounds, that would be my guess.

Occasional licking wouldn't be too bad, maybe don't keep stopping him and just see how long he tends to groom there. If he moves on after a few minutes, it's probably fine. Until he's obsessed to the point of opening up the wound etc, it likely is fine.

Thank you Brigitte! That sounds like a sane suggestion. And Moggie just told me in cat language he thinks I am being weird. He was washing his thighs and tail and I was squatted watching him intently peering over the blanket edge of his bed and he stopped washing, maintained eye contact and slowly like he was stalking a bird but purring all the while crept up to my face and slowly touched my nose with his nose. Then turned around and went back to washing. Translated "I know you are being nice but it feels like you are stalking me"

I am typing this in a bit of a sleep deprived stupor, as my 7 month old F6 kitten was neutered yesterday, and not only do I need to keep him from licking the surgical area, which the vet assistant believed he was inclined to do, and they put the same type of cone on him that was put on Moggie, I also need to keep my year and a 1/2 old F7 from licking it, which hasn’t been a problem because the older cat is no longer recognizing the younger cat as their best buddy, and instead of having to worry about overly intimate grooming sessions, I am having to make sure a cat fight doesn’t break out, while still managing to supervise and reassure the kitten.

Oh, and the plastic cone was also freaking me out because if the cat can’t easily pull it off, it seems like it is something that could easily hang a cat, like a collar with no safety release, and several protruding parts to catch on stuff.

But now I have more experience I have figured out a couple solutions that seem to be working well.

When the F7 was neutered I found I could let him satisfy his desire to clean if just used 3 fingers to shield the surgical site. So I did a bit of this today...

And as I can’t supervise the kitten 24/7, today I removed the silly ribbon they use to tie the cone around his neck and instead I attached the tabs of the plastic collar to the neck strap of a simple H harness. It was super easy to thread them through, and snap shut the catch, and the under the armpit strap/belly strap makes it so it cannot be pulled off and is also less stress on the neck and less likely to be able to hang my kitten. And then over this I put on the older cats well used and quite dirty walking jacket, which further secures everything and takes the strain off the neck and as a side bonus seems to have greatly lessened or resolved the non recognition aggression.

Just thought someone might find this suggestion helpful, though I am still keeping a close eye on my goofy kitten, as it may not be totally impossible for him to get hung up on something...

admin

Paige
Staff member
I am typing this in a bit of a sleep deprived stupor, as my 7 month old F6 kitten was neutered yesterday, and not only do I need to keep him from licking the surgical area, which the vet assistant believed he was inclined to do, and they put the same type of cone on him that was put on Moggie, I also need to keep my year and a 1/2 old F7 from licking it, which hasn’t been a problem because the older cat is no longer recognizing the younger cat as their best buddy, and instead of having to worry about overly intimate grooming sessions, I am having to make sure a cat fight doesn’t break out, while still managing to supervise and reassure the kitten.

Oh, and the plastic cone was also freaking me out because if the cat can’t easily pull it off, it seems like it is something that could easily hang a cat, like a collar with no safety release, and several protruding parts to catch on stuff.

But now I have more experience I have figured out a couple solutions that seem to be working well.

When the F7 was neutered I found I could let him satisfy his desire to clean if just used 3 fingers to shield the surgical site. So I did a bit of this today...

And as I can’t supervise the kitten 24/7, today I removed the silly ribbon they use to tie the cone around his neck and instead I attached the tabs of the plastic collar to the neck strap of a simple H harness. It was super easy to thread them through, and snap shut the catch, and the under the armpit strap/belly strap makes it so it cannot be pulled off and is also less stress on the neck and less likely to be able to hang my kitten. And then over this I put on the older cats well used and quite dirty walking jacket, which further secures everything and takes the strain off the neck and as a side bonus seems to have greatly lessened or resolved the non recognition aggression.

Just thought someone might find this suggestion helpful, though I am still keeping a close eye on my goofy kitten, as it may not be totally impossible for him to get hung up on something...
I never leave those cones on and have never had an issue. Thank you for sharing your inventive solution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Popp

Site Supporter
I like it! Last time I needed an e-collar I used the Kong soft collar with great success, wish I would have had your ingenuity.

It worked really well, and even if it was not needed, it put my mind at ease and allowed me to get more sleep. And it was a big improvement over the cat pants I tried to sew for Moggie... and as WC is not used to wearing a harness or walking jacket, that tendency cat have to fall over on the side and feel like they can’t move wearing this was also helpful. Now HB and WC are back to trilling at each other to come play, mutual grooming and wrestling. Which also makes me nervous, but somehow they manage to bunny kick / bite each others bums and faces everyday with never a scratch, so I am still supervising but guessing the almost healed surgical site is just as safe as the protruding balls that used to be there......?

Anyways ...I am relieved everything is getting back to normal!

Attachments