Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Potty issues..

Sharde'

Savannah Super Cat
My 10 month old F2 savannah Zara absolutely REFUSES to use the cat box. We have six boxes! She doesn't want to use any of them! two has scentless sand litter three have pellets and one has this pine dust natural scent. We have all different sizes. She would rather pee in the hallway or in a vent. I have put cat boxes right where she would rather pee and she just pee's next to it. I don't know what to do i keep them very clean. I have given her a variety of boxes and litters and she doesn't want to use them. I have tried locking her in one room with a box but she holds it until she gets out and then pees in her bad spot. She poos in my mothers room. Today she peed on her bed. I have no idea what to do her litter mate sister is very good about using the box.

We have four cats two savannahs and two domestics. when she was younger she used the potty but as she got older she found other places. Advice please!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Just throwing this out for consideration -- maybe she's unhappy sharing space with other cats. You didn't mention the gender of the 2 DSHs. Sometimes gender mix can be an issue. If there are more females than males, that could be one issue. Have you tried Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter? Give that one a try and see if it helps.

Sharde'

Savannah Super Cat
All of the cats are female and i will look into it.

I am thinking of moving out and taking her with me. maybe she needs to be an only cat?

John Popp

Site Supporter
I'll second the Dr Elsey's Cat Attract litter, as when we were having an issue that's what worked best.

We also now employ very large litter boxes made from 36 gallon Sterilite storage containers. They all have 60-80lbs of litter in them to make sure the urine balls are always suspended. If anything is ever stuck to the side of the box, we also wipe it down with a 20-1 water to bleach solution. Less than 2 minutes a box, 3 times a day for 4 boxes (3 cats).

Our big boy Kebu who we had issues with would search for reasons not to use the litter box. We would watch him climb into the litter box, sniff and scratch around then jump out and pee on the door. Standard sized litter boxes had to be absolutely pristine for him to use them. At one point he also had a Urinary Tract Infection, so make note of how much urine your kitten is passing or any yelps when relieving herself.

As Deborah also mentioned it could be behavioral as well, so best to make sure the easy stuff is out of the way first. Where the catitude comes in about not wanting to use the litter box is akin to voodoo and because it is likely a combination of issues making it more art than science in finding your solution.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I am thinking of moving out and taking her with me. maybe she needs to be an only cat?

Or she might do better with just 1 other cat. Is she bonded to the other SV? If so, you might get a whole new batch of issues if they're separated. At least in the short term until she adjusts.

Sue

Savannah Super Cat
My Scottish Fold was doing that. On "My Cat from Hell", there was a cat doing that and it was a blocked anal gland. I took CJ to the vet and it turned out he had a urinary tract infection and blood in the urine. You might want to take the cat to the vet to rule out medical issues. He was treated with meds and is much better now.