Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Problem Pee'r back at it

John Popp

Site Supporter
After several years of having near perfect litter box compliance, our problem pee'r is back at it. We started back at square one with him, quarantine, large fresh litter boxes and he just seems to be seeking out things that have recently been brought into our home. He is also eliminating near windows and doorways leading to outside or our basement. Seems to me that it's very much territorial marking, just don't have a clue as to how we can get this remedied.

He's a 16 year old male, in good health and a bit on the large side at 16lbs. Not fat, just solid. He's never been the brightest of the bunch, lumbering, slow, but always sweet and lovable. He's definitely at the end of his rope with my wife and not too far removed from being a barn cat at a friend's horse farm. Not the way I want this to go as it isn't the right solution for any involved, just can't have this behavior spilling over to the young one with another one on the way in the coming months.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Over the years, I have had elderly cats develop this syndrome.
Damned if I can figure it out.:confused:
I often wonder if this could be a form of feline dementia.
All that said, I would make sure there is not a urinary tract infection. They can appear healthy yet still have a low grade infection.

John Popp

Site Supporter
Thanks Rascal! He has been checked out by the vet and appears to be in good health. The vet really wanted to stay away from medicating him and saw that as a last resort. When we made that attempt years ago it was of little help and finally when upping his meds we nearly lost him. Don't want to travel that route again and hoping that we can come to another solution.

Also, I don't believe this is a case of UTI as his elimination is very targeted. We have placed a litter box in front of the door to the basement, and upon moving it when going downstairs, upon return you'll be greeted with a healthy dose of cat wiz on the door. Definitely some sort of territorial thing, as he needs to hurdle the litter box to get to the location.

Anyway, just extremely frustrated as the problem has been in remission for a number of years and nothing that I have learned seems to be working this time through. Perhaps it's just the smells of spring with the windows open more often, and along with it the smells of some neighboring pets.

D

Dantes

I totally feel your pain.

When my 15 year old senior cat started problem peeing, it turned out that she had kidney problems (diagnosed days before death) that several vets missed :( I was so mad at her the last year of her life, and after she passed I was so mad at myself. She destroyed my hardwood floor in multiple, big black spots, but I'd gladly give up the floor to not have hated her that last year.

Dante, who isn't 3 yet, is back to peeing on my pillow after several months of remission. He's been to 4 different vets and had every test under the earth and nothing. I try hard not to get mad at him but it's really hard, especially when it seems so spiteful. I mean, right ON my feather pillow!

If only I could speak cat.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Perhaps it's just the smells of spring with the windows open more often, and along with it the smells of some neighboring pets.
You might be on to something there. A friend of mine had the problem occur with one of her cats when a stray neighborhood male (I don't know if it was neutered), came onto her deck and peed. Her yr. old neutered male went bonkers and started peeing in front of the exterior doors and she ended up rehoming him because he never settled down after that.

But as we know, relationship dynamics that are beyond our ability to detect happen and it could be a zillion little things that built up over time with your boy. I hope you find a solution to the problem. Maybe quarantine him for a bit?

John Popp

Site Supporter
Is Chongo sneak attacking him when he tries to use a litter box?

If it moves, Chongo is sneak attacking it. Actually, I haven't seen any litter box attacks, and if Chongo notices him in a litter box, he'll just make sure the Big Bubbus covered his business to his satisfaction. The two of them generally get along pretty well although in 5 minute chunks. From there the big guy definitely lets Chongo know he's had enough.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Could be the smells of spring...is he getting enough attention? I would hate to think of him turning into a barn cat after spending his life inside as a pampered pet :(

John Popp

Site Supporter
Thanks Deb and Dante!

Just really sucks as we have worked so hard with him in the past. We lost his brother a year ago, have done everything to accommodate him and I'm not at all fond of him becoming a barn cat this late in life. he is currently sequestered and has 3 litter boxes cleaned 3 times a day. He also has a couple of those cardboard scratch beds he likes a lot so he has a scented safe zone to lay down. Not sure what more I can do outside of spraying around a bunch of feliway or the like.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Thanks Deb and Dante!

Just really sucks as we have worked so hard with him in the past. We lost his brother a year ago, have done everything to accommodate him and I'm not at all fond of him becoming a barn cat this late in life. he is currently sequestered and has 3 litter boxes cleaned 3 times a day. He also has a couple of those cardboard scratch beds he likes a lot so he has a scented safe zone to lay down. Not sure what more I can do outside of spraying around a bunch of feliway or the like.

John, there is a new collar out - the Nutricalm calming collar...you may want to try it...it is similar to the feliway collar...