Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Recipes for Home Made Raw Food

admin

Paige
Staff member
Yes, all these recipes can be adapted to suit individual needs...I mainly use chicken thighs as well and use egg yolks and livers/hearts...

This is just another recipe for folks to look at and use/modify...I really don't think there is any "right" answer, which is why we all must experiment on our own, keeping m mind the taurine and other nutrients cats must have daily.

I wish there was a blood test or other test to know if we are giving the correct formula for our cats' needs...

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
Chicken Mix, Vegetables Safe for Cats, Chicken Broth
I am wondering about Taurine here, the one recipe I have been using asks for 3 lb of ground meet with 2000mg of taurine and this one says 4 lb of meat with 13,500mg of taurine. How much taurine should be added per lb of ground mea?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I am wondering about Taurine here, the one recipe I have been using asks for 3 lb of ground meet with 2000mg of taurine and this one says 4 lb of meat with 13,500mg of taurine. How much taurine should be added per lb of ground mea?
There isn't a defined amount to add. General rule is 1000 mg per pound of meat. If you are using a raw fed meat mixture and making it fresh daily to feed, stick to what the recipe states. If you are using a raw diet recipe but will cook and/or freeze the food, double the amount of taurine the recipe calls for to account for degradation of enzymes during cooking/freezing process.

John Popp

Site Supporter
Actually the recipe cited called for a total of 4 - 4lb whole chickens for a total of 16lbs. In that light not that far off and within 20%.

For me I would tend to lean toward the high side on taurine. Cats are only able to produce modest amounts of taurine and the rest must be ingested with their diet. Wild cats carry as much as 3x the taurine of domestic cats, it's water soluble and you can't feasibly get to toxicity levels. As excess is not retained and passed through the urine it's not like vitamin A that your cat can get too much of. It's also an essential amino acid which builds a strong heart, brain and good vision.

For our recipe we get the majority of our taurine from chicken hearts while also using chicken thighs as dark meat is higher in Taurine. We still add about 50% of what the original recipe calls for in powdered taurine despite having the taurine amount of the recipe covered from the chicken hearts. There's roughly about 5 grams of taurine in a pound of chicken hearts, so pretty easy to adjust them into your raw mix if you have a source for them.

Hope that helps!

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
Another question. one recipe asked for 50mg of b complex for 2.5lb meat. I found natures bounty b complex drops, 1ml is 1.7mg of B2, 20mg niacin, 2mg if B6, 1.2mg of B12 and 30mg of pantothenic. So how do I know what 50mg is? Do I add that all the b's together as 1ml would be close to 50??

Second, I have access to alot of different ground meats from chicken to goat to pig, rabbit, duck, turkey, elk etc. is it all ok to feed?

Angie

John Popp

Site Supporter
We just bust open the B-50 complex capsules and mix them in. Liquid vitamin B is likely have some flavor additives and while that may make it more palatable for us your cat might not be too fond of the blueberry flavor or sometimes alcohol added. From the description provided it looks like that is the same breakdown as would be found in a Vitamin B-50 Capsule, I would just try some yourself and see if there are any flavors your cat might be adverse to.