Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Retained testicles

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
I had a 2nd opinion on Zoen's retained testicles January 19th, and the vet said, right testicle is in inguinal area but palpable......the left testicle not present. This exam was 9 days after the first exam for this. I'm going to delay the neuter until 6-7 months of age when they should be staying down. The breeder said she never had an intact male kitten start spraying before being a year old. This will avoid the extra costs of an abdominal surgery and the extra trauma to Zoen from having such a surgery if it can be prevented.

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
The animal hospital that did the first exam for this sent me in the mail what they came up with for the neuter surgery for anesthesia, instead of using ketamine. This doesn't sound to good to use along with isoflorin gas either. Have any of you heard of these? Midazolam, Butorphenal and Dexdomitor. The vet hospital that did the 2nd opinion exam January 19th uses ketamine also......I couldn't believe it...... I said, not on my cat your not!! (n)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Midazolam is a sedative, butorphenol is a pain medication and dexdomitor is an injectable anesthetic that is much safer than ketamine as it has a reversal agent. It is what my vet uses on my cats for years...

I hope kitten's testicles drop in the next couple months then!

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
Midazolam is a sedative, butorphenol is a pain medication and dexdomitor is an injectable anesthetic that is much safer than ketamine as it has a reversal agent. It is what my vet uses on my cats for years...

I hope kitten's testicles drop in the next couple months then!
Brigitte, thanks for the helpful info:).....I want to be sure what is used on Zoen, that is safe. I'm surprised alot of animal hospitals use that ketamine...the vet on the 19th exam did say that is a strong drug.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Brigitte, thanks for the helpful info:).....I want to be sure what is used on Zoen, that is safe. I'm surprised alot of animal hospitals use that ketamine...the vet on the 19th exam did say that is a strong drug.
It's "old school" so many vets would have been trained using that as the anesthetic....it's also an economical drug so there is some motivation to just keep using it, rather than the expense of the equipment for the inhalable anesthetics.

It is good to check if you don't recognize what they are proposing to use, better to be safe than sorry!

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
Diane, how are things with Zoen? Has his pom-pom decided to cooperate?
Hi there, I'm not really happy at this point yet with this problem.....He has an appointment with the vet this Monday, March 13th to check to see if they are down and ready to take out.....He is now 6 months old and I don't really want to wait much more because of spraying pretty soon, AND if he dose, my husband says he will have to go back to the breeder, and I will get all my money back If I have to sell him myself!! I've had him checked several times at different Animal hospitals also for other opinions and they say the same thing and it is costing me ALOT of of extra money to do this! I also have to get rid of at least 3 of my other cats ...2 DSH and 1 Himalayan because of 2 many cats.....the cost to keep them also! So that's my story!!! :(

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Is it a limit law issue with having to rehome some of your cats? How awful :-(

I have to say, if you have to sell your kitten I doubt you would get what you paid for him...not only is he months older, he will be coming with a behavioral issue (if he's spraying and doesn't stop with the neuter) and you cannot offer any sort of health or genetic guarantee as you are not the breeder. But that's rushing things, he hasn't started spraying and really almost ALL kittens that might have started spraying but are quickly neutered, it resolves very fast.

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
If it were me I would just get him neutered now before any bad habits start, regardless of whether they have descended or not. My kitten with retained testicles had his neuter done at 5 months and he bounced right back in a few days.