Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Ringworm?

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
Well, the only place I've been since Thursday is Columbus. And the cat who has it on her nose slept curled in my arms last night. Hers doesn't quite look like mine, but I'm not even sure if it is ringworm. Since it's Labor Day, nothing is open, so we'll wait til tomorrow to vet and MD for us both. How long is the "incubation" period from exposure to visibility? At least I didn't hold anyone's Savannah in Columbus! But I did hold a Persian and a Sphynx. I use Tea Tree oil on my dreadlocks, do I have it already. Thanks, all.

It won't hit that fast. It takes a few weeks, as I remember from the time of exposure. You can dab the area with a diluted bleach solution on a q tip. It is basically everywhere but if the immune system is run down, that is when it is most problematic. I had a premie kitten that was abandoned by his mother get it. He glowed green in the black light like an alien. I fought it for a good year after that, eventually having to rip out my carpets, steam clean what was left professionally, and bleach all surfaces. It is a fungus so the microscopic spores float every where.

M

MK Anderson

That's terrible MK! A lot of vets don't really take it seriously because it is 'just' a skin infection, but it is horribly contagious and can be a nightmare to get rid of. I know one breeder who scrubbed from floor to ceiling over and over, even used the bombs and 'misted' the house with Health Guard via a humidifier, but still, every litter for almost two years came down with it without fail... she finally beat it, but what a horrible thing to have to go through!!

Uggg I feel for her! that is terrible. I wondering if she had a carrier cat, I heard that can happen. I'm so glad she has gotten rid of it!!!

my new vet takes it very serious and after seeing my cats, he said he's glad he does. He really calmed me down a lot and any question I had got back to me ASAP! Also, this is why I keep probotics in their diet! He told me it helps from the gut and can help keep their immune system up to fight fungus off if the come in contact again.

M

MK Anderson

Well, let's be honest too- if you have kids, it can be walked into the house. If you have dogs, it can be walked into the house. If you live your life- it can be walked into the house.

DON'T freak out. DO QUARANTINE and treat, treat, treat. I think not quarantining gives you a higher incidence of seeing it occur again IMHO.

Yep, you are correct, Trish!! this is how my cats got it in the first place, my oldest daughter. She unfortunately has an auto immune disease and is very susceptible to things like this. She got it from the gym at school! I take many per-cautious around here now! but most normal kids immune system fight it off, but not hers... I was fine till the poor cat where bleeding, so I agree with you on that!

M

MK Anderson

Ringworm is definitely itchy. Also, it doesn't always show up under black lights - not all black lights are equal...
It won't hit that fast. It takes a few weeks, as I remember from the time of exposure. You can dab the area with a diluted bleach solution on a q tip. It is basically everywhere but if the immune system is run down, that is when it is most problematic. I had a premie kitten that was abandoned by his mother get it. He glowed green in the black light like an alien. I fought it for a good year after that, eventually having to rip out my carpets, steam clean what was left professionally, and bleach all surfaces. It is a fungus so the microscopic spores float every where.

Also, the swifer clothes help pick up spores too. I use a steam cleaner all the time on my hard woods love it!

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
Ringworm is definitely itchy. Also, it doesn't always show up under black lights - not all black lights are equal...

I have not had it myself but my kittens didn't itch at all. I think the Pee Pee light is adequate. That is what I used. The one I had at the time wasn't very expensive either.

Trish Allearz

My vet has told me that RW doesn't always glow- she also said that sometimes, it won't culture right. It is a nasty pain in the butt little bugger! BUT it isn't life threatening- just a danger to one's sanity!

M

MK Anderson

My vet has told me that RW doesn't always glow- she also said that sometimes, it won't culture right. It is a nasty pain in the butt little bugger! BUT it isn't life threatening- just a danger to one's sanity!
LOL! you NOT kidding about being a danger to one's Sanity!! But correct its not life threatening and that's what I kept saying to get me through it!! Pergie was the only one that glowed on the light, Keeba and Chloe did not, but came back positive in culture test.