Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Running out of ideas....

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
That's really horrible! Do you think his food might have caused it?
I doubt it because my other cats are healthy as can be. San had spent some time lost outdoors before some good people helped get him into the shelter they got their cats from. They could tell right away he had a great disposition despite being emaciated from hunger. He was very lean when he wandered onto their porch and rolled over looking up for belly rubs. :)

I suspect his time outside affected his health enough to let it get started. It may be possible that the food could have encouraged the growth of the tumor.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Try the Hare Today ground rabbit...although mine often don't like that. Here in CA I source my raw ground rabbit somewhat locally and then get some shipped down from WA that they like much better. But I do generally find that the meat blends that are available they really won't eat. Ground meat with no vegetables added go much better and most of the "blends" add stuff to it and they don't like it.

D

Dantes

Try the Hare Today ground rabbit...although mine often don't like that. Here in CA I source my raw ground rabbit somewhat locally and then get some shipped down from WA that they like much better. But I do generally find that the meat blends that are available they really won't eat. Ground meat with no vegetables added go much better and most of the "blends" add stuff to it and they don't like it.
I just ordered some Small Batch rabbit which should be in in a week or two, but seeing as they didn't like the chicken, I'm kinda doubtful. Is there a place in CA to order something like the Hare Today rabbit? That would be better, for sure. (I'm in SF/East Bay.)

I got a few cans of Instinct, Duck and Lamb flavors. Dante ate a few bites of the duck yesterday, Duma did not seem interested. It took him a while to get interested in the Rad Cat chicken yesterday too, I hope he doesn't start refusing that :-/ I really feel like both of them don't eat enough at all.

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
Same with my guys, B. they only like plain rabbit. Where do you get yours? Could you send the link please?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/RC...ln-Select-by-Flavor-cln-Rabbit/Categories.bok

Dantes, this place does a run every month to the East Bay, I pick the order up in Berkeley by the 80... the website says they are out of stock of the rabbit, but last time I emailed them about that they then managed to get some... and I also ask them to bag it in 4lb bags because it's easier for me to deal with that way.

Else I get some shipped down from http://www.wholefoods4pets.com/dogs-cats.htm which the cats love best, but I don't think she is taking any new clients....

D

Dantes

Thanks, Brigitte, I'll give them a try! I also forgot that someone had told me about sfraw.com. At one point I investigated joining but it sounds really complicated to me and I really didn't want to commit to something I wasn't sure of, but it might be worth re-investigating at this point.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Dantes....I was on vacation when you started this thread and have been giving it a lot of thought. Now that I'm back and not confined by the small screen and quirks of TapaTalk on my phone, I want to share a thought that keeps rambling through my head.

Maybe it's not the food but the way the cats are fed and/or the environment in which they are fed. When I was a wildlife rehabilitator, I noticed that some animals needed the stimulation of competition for food to whet their appetites and others didn't. Some needed to hunt for their food. In general, the more environmental variety/challenge they had at mealtime, the better they ate. So with that in mind, maybe you can ponder the value of:
* Feeding apart if fed together and vice versa.
* Varying the locations where they eat.
* Hiding the food for them to find (maybe even using a kong or puzzle feeder) or placing the food under something they have to dig at or move to get to.
* Feeding in an enclosed room if fed in the open and vice versa.
* Feeding in an elevated location.

I have a picky eater and I tried moving the location where he ate and it helped significantly. He needs to watch the other cats eat and scout the entire house for enemy intruders before he eats. I used to feed him in the powder room and he seemed nervous in there so I moved his dish to the breakfast bar. He seems to need the advantage of height to feel comfortable eating even though the other 2 cats never bothered him or tried to get his food when he was eating in the powder room.

John Popp

Site Supporter
I agree, Deborah! Challenges or tranquility at feeding time does the trick for our cats. Some won't eat if there is anyone else around and our SV just leaves his food sit for bait until the other cats makean attempt to get at it. He doesn't eat until they have given up or until something is placed in his puzzle feeder. Kibble that he wouldn't think of eating from his dish he'll spend hours getting it out of his egg.