Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Savannah Cats are NOT Hypoallergenic

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Hmmm, I was just noticing this week how much fur I have flying around the house, and how much was coming off on my hand when I stroked a couple of my Savannahs...

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I think what I had read was the fel d1 protien in Savannah's saliva is a lot less than most domestics in comparison. I will admit part of why I wanted a savannah was because I was almost certain allergies wouldn't be as big of an issue. But this was after I noticed certain breeds bothered me more than others. And my allergies were no where near live threatening. Itchy eyes and scratchy throat sneezing are my worst symptoms only if I get the hair in my eyes. I had met a couple bengals that didn't bother me at all and a early generation savannah and had no symptoms at all. But for me I made the commitment that if for any reason I did have allergies I could take a pill and deal with it. Using this as a major deciding point is no bueno. I will admit to using it as a partial sway in the direction of the breed however.

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

admin

Paige
Staff member
There is absolutely no proof about the saliva of Savannah as far as I know. The only proof is in Siberians...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
They are actually able to prove the levels of fel d1 in a breed? Thought they weren't able to really prove anything in stone. Every cat is different and it's all sort of by luck of the cat is what I hear most. That's kinda cool that they actually could prove that

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I went into it knowing I would love Loki regardless. But that's cool information. I know genetics vary from cat to cat

Trish Allearz

Same as the Sphynx... Even naked can cause allergies to flare up although it seems less likely.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Well considering it's not the fur I am allergic to but the protien in the saliva I would think I would be more allergic since there is less for the protein to stick to. I would imagine there Would be more "dander" in that case right? Long hair cats seem to make me sneeze more times than not but that could be because their fur jacket seems to hold everything then hair flys around and I sneeze cuz it goes up my nose. Short hairs are strange I would think I would be more allergic but certain breeds I have no response to anymore. Maybe my body jus assumes its bunny fur I've built up a tolerance to bunnies and hay allergies. Although I have both buns a bath today since they still had fur flying all over the house from shedding their winter coat. I looked like I was a bunny after those baths I was covered!! I haven't bathed them in a year and instead of them freaking out they seemed I enjoy it. It was pretty humid today maybe it helped cool em down a bit. All I know is my home is fur free today and my nose is thanking me now =]