Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Savannahs and Children

Trish Allearz

So I'm curious as to YOUR experiences with your Savannahs and your kids...

Do you find the breed is a good one for children? Do you think generation matters? Or do you think a well behaved kid with a well socialized Savannah will usually be a decent match?

In MY EXPERIENCE- and I come from a ten year rescue background that included taming some ferals- I think a well socialized Savannah, of any generation, as a spay/neuter will probably do okay in a home with kids that are cat-knowledgeable. I know some breeders do not think F1s should live in a house with kids, but I think (for me) it would be a case by case decision. DOES the home have cat experience? Is it experience with higher energy kitties or Persian-type kitties? Etc.

Share your Savannah and kids experiences! Pictures are a bonus!

Attachments

• Bug56.jpg
    Bug56.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 24

admin

Paige
Staff member
OMG, trish - I love this pic so much! Bug is absolutely adorable!!!!

Hope more people talk about kids and savannahs and share pics!!!

admin

Paige
Staff member
OMG - that is a gorgeous! I love Logan!!! I love kids...took care of them in my nursing career...

Marissa

Savannah Super Cat
my f5 sv gets "along" with my son, not at well as my bengals, but she tolerates him just fine, i little over dramatic about it when he tries to handle her, but trust me she could get away if she wanted to! As for children older than my 2 year old, she gets along with them really well. She will fall asleep on them and follow them around (probably waiting for food to fall!)

my f2 on the other hand will not go near my son at all, we got her when she was a year and shes been a very... troubled... cat. shes a story in herself. She wont allow my son to get within 5 feet of her without her.

here is a picture of my son and my bengal boy gatti, hes the sweetest most docile thing on earth 09fd29d8c9d54706ab7c71d728482ae9_5.jpg

Lori Greer

Cahaba Cats
So I'm curious as to YOUR experiences with your Savannahs and your kids...

Do you find the breed is a good one for children? Do you think generation matters? Or do you think a well behaved kid with a well socialized Savannah will usually be a decent match?

In MY EXPERIENCE- and I come from a ten year rescue background that included taming some ferals- I think a well socialized Savannah, of any generation, as a spay/neuter will probably do okay in a home with kids that are cat-knowledgeable. I know some breeders do not think F1s should live in a house with kids, but I think (for me) it would be a case by case decision. DOES the home have cat experience? Is it experience with higher energy kitties or Persian-type kitties? Etc.

Share your Savannah and kids experiences! Pictures are a bonus!
I'm with you Trish in that I think it is a case by case based on the owners, but ever moreso on the cat's personality. I've had experience with both ends of the spectrum when it comes to F1s being properly socialized. One I would most definitely trust with anyone handling her and the other would only place with an experienced early generation owner. This isn't limited to F1s as I've had some F2s and F3s that I also wouldn't trust to someone without previous experience.

Trish Allearz

my f5 sv gets "along" with my son, not at well as my bengals, but she tolerates him just fine, i little over dramatic about it when he tries to handle her, but trust me she could get away if she wanted to! As for children older than my 2 year old, she gets along with them really well. She will fall asleep on them and follow them around (probably waiting for food to fall!)

my f2 on the other hand will not go near my son at all, we got her when she was a year and shes been a very... troubled... cat. shes a story in herself. She wont allow my son to get within 5 feet of her without her.

here is a picture of my son and my bengal boy gatti, hes the sweetest most docile thing on earth View attachment 29
I love that pic! How cute!

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
View attachment 30 View attachment 30 View attachment 30 View attachment 31 View attachment 31

This my grandson Clayton playing with F3C Lily. She is so amazing with kids; my other F3 girl is quite shy, but is very happy to play with wand toys with my grandkids. I only have experience with F3 and lower generations with kids, but agree that proper early socialization and attention to each cat's personality by the breeder makes the best combination of whether they will fit in a family with pet-respecting children :) In contrast, my extremely well-socialized F6 boy had NO contact with kids before I brought him home at 4 months. It took some time before he learned the grandkids were not a threat, and now seeks them out for attention and playtime.