Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Special needs or not?

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
A non-savannah kitten was offered to me but Breeder says his hind legs were twisted in the womb, she told me the vet says therapy will have him up n running...Advice needed on
1) to purchase or not..assuming modified price for him.
2)contract modified to include vet $ for future problems @ my expense
3) Anything else?
Not sure yet just how twisted the legs are, he's trying to walk now; Breeder to send photos, I will post. Thanks.

Trish Allearz

Most of these kittens end up pretty normal from what I've read and heard. One of my girls had silly twisty legs the first day after birth this last litter, but they were normal real quick from scurrying around the nesting box.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
Thanks Trish. pandecats.com , has a page on it & it's not a bad thing for the most part. It's a kitten for my son. I was hoping it was an easy fix... certainly sounds like it....
:not sure:

Patti

Admin
Staff member
My suggestion would be to ask for the kitten's veterinarian records and/or speak to the vet directly and find out exactly what is involved in the 'therapy' the kitten will need so that you can decide if you will be able to make the commitment to provide what he needs.

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
He's been to the vet, they called it twisted legs/ L greater than Right/ therapy includes heat, stretch, n hold/ 3-10 times daily. If it's not improved by week 1 they are suggesting bracing the legs for 8-12 hours daily. I'm just worried it will make the legs too weak. He's pushing himself around but not able to stand on them. Vet says only time will tell how he will do, so it's a waiting period.

Trish Allearz

He's been to the vet, they called it twisted legs/ L greater than Right/ therapy includes heat, stretch, n hold/ 3-10 times daily. If it's not improved by week 1 they are suggesting bracing the legs for 8-12 hours daily. I'm just worried it will make the legs too weak. He's pushing himself around but not able to stand on them. Vet says only time will tell how he will do, so it's a waiting period.

There was even a big Facebook page devoted to a Sphynx baby with this issue as of last year-- darnit, I cannot recall the name of the page. What happens if you put down a deposit and it does not improve? That's what I'd ask specifically. In this case, I think you should be able to put down a deposit, but transfer it to another kitten if he does not improve enough to be normal.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I just want to confirm that this is not radial hypoplasia (commonly called twisty legs) where part or all of the radial bone (of the front leg) is missing or under-developed. If that is the case then there is no getting better. However, if it is from how the kitten was positioned in the womb then I have heard that it can get better with physical therapy.

Trish Allearz

I just want to confirm that this is not radial hypoplasia (commonly called twisty legs) where part or all of the radial bone (of the front leg) is missing or under-developed. If that is the case then there is no getting better. However, if it is from how the kitten was positioned in the womb then I have heard that it can get better with physical therapy.
Interesting-- I didn't know there were two different issues!

I will clarify-- obviously, the only kittens I have heard about were simply smushed in the wrong position in the womb. The Sphynx kitten was Forrest, but apparently the breeder removed his page because I cannot find it anymore.

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
No his back legs are curved in, at the knee to ankle. Vet visit confirmed bones are present just "rounded instead of straight" so Physical Therapy & possible bracing should(?) straighten...I'm just worried of the long term problems he might have because of it. Will this cause his back legs to be weak or brittle...is he at high risk for injury from jumping? Question sounds weird talking about a cat....:not sure:
This IS A Maine Coon, so that "Hypo..." definitely applies, thankfully it's the hind legs, positioned in the womb between 4 other kittens...taken to the vet within 24 hours; kittens were born 8-10pm. Everything I've told you is what the Breeder told me except I did get ahold of the vet who confirmed PT is really all he needs but uncertain as to the strength of those legs. He's the only "red" in the litter which is why I didn't just say "no".

Last edited: