Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Stilgar coming home tonight!!

T

The Kasbah

This is like bringing home a new baby.We drove seven hours to pick up Adrina.Her Quarantine room lasted four days.She just took over and Tuff took very well to her

It's wonderful that you had a great experience bringing home your new baby, but there is a reason that Breeders stipulate quarantine.

Our purchase agreement mandates quarantine for a minimum of two weeks and breaking quarantine voids any and all health guarantees. We require this for the following reasons:

1. To reinforce good litter box habits. Many infant kittens, if just "sprung" into the household are unable to locate the litter box and begin having accidents, which quickly become habit.

2. It allows for a quicker and stronger bond between kitten and new owner. Each time that door is opened up, the human is bringing in toys, food or social time...and Savannah kittens, being social creatures by nature, respond to this and begin to quickly recognize their new human as the "be all end all" because each time they visit it means good things!

3. Moving to a new home is extremely stressful for a new kitten and this means that their immune system IS compromised at the time of transfer. Best to keep them in a quiet place away from all other animals, so that just in case they break with a Upper Respiratory Infection or fecal issues, you are only medicating ONE kitten...NOT the entire household!

4. It allows for the existing animals in the household and the new kitten to grow accustomed to the new sounds and smells in a household...and one another, so that when the kitten IS finally let loose, any resulting drama can be reduced and introductions go far more smoothly.

Quarantine IS difficult (more for humans than for the cat/kitten involved to be honest) but it is MANDATORY. Over the years, we have had many clients "break" quarantine and then call to complain about various issues. Fact is, all of this could be avoided, if they had only listened to us from the start.

We are very willing to assist our clients throughout the lifetime of their animals with any issue that might arise....but NOT when the issue is triggered as a result of the clients defying our take home instructions. Therefore, we flat tell all of our clients that if they choose to break quarantine and it results in issues, DON'T CALL US. Your decision...your problem.

In the past, many broke quarantine and quite obviously, the fact that they were voiding their health guarantee was not motivation enough to solicit cooperation, much to my displeasure. Since we adopted our new Quarantine Policy three years ago, however, NOT A SINGLE ONE of our clients has suffered any issues, behavioral or otherwise...and all have been completely satisfied with their kittens temperament and behavioral habits.

Again, when Breeders REQUIRE Quarantine, it is not meant to be taken as an elective...but a mandatory process to assure kittens acclimate properly to guarantee new owners THE experience of a lifetime!

You were fortunate that when you broke quarantine, things went nicely for you, but most others are NOT so lucky...

All best,

Tuffkitty

Savannah Child
It's wonderful that you had a great experience bringing home your new baby, but there is a reason that Breeders stipulate quarantine.

Our purchase agreement mandates quarantine for a minimum of two weeks and breaking quarantine voids any and all health guarantees. We require this for the following reasons:

1. To reinforce good litter box habits. Many infant kittens, if just "sprung" into the household are unable to locate the litter box and begin having accidents, which quickly become habit.

2. It allows for a quicker and stronger bond between kitten and new owner. Each time that door is opened up, the human is bringing in toys, food or social time...and Savannah kittens, being social creatures by nature, respond to this and begin to quickly recognize their new human as the "be all end all" because each time they visit it means good things!

3. Moving to a new home is extremely stressful for a new kitten and this means that their immune system IS compromised at the time of transfer. Best to keep them in a quiet place away from all other animals, so that just in case they break with a Upper Respiratory Infection or fecal issues, you are only medicating ONE kitten...NOT the entire household!

4. It allows for the existing animals in the household and the new kitten to grow accustomed to the new sounds and smells in a household...and one another, so that when the kitten IS finally let loose, any resulting drama can be reduced and introductions go far more smoothly.

Quarantine IS difficult (more for humans than for the cat/kitten involved to be honest) but it is MANDATORY. Over the years, we have had many clients "break" quarantine and then call to complain about various issues. Fact is, all of this could be avoided, if they had only listened to us from the start.

We are very willing to assist our clients throughout the lifetime of their animals with any issue that might arise....but NOT when the issue is triggered as a result of the clients defying our take home instructions. Therefore, we flat tell all of our clients that if they choose to break quarantine and it results in issues, DON'T CALL US. Your decision...your problem.

In the past, many broke quarantine and quite obviously, the fact that they were voiding their health guarantee was not motivation enough to solicit cooperation, much to my displeasure. Since we adopted our new Quarantine Policy three years ago, however, NOT A SINGLE ONE of our clients has suffered any issues, behavioral or otherwise...and all have been completely satisfied with their kittens temperament and behavioral habits.

Again, when Breeders REQUIRE Quarantine, it is not meant to be taken as an elective...but a mandatory process to assure kittens acclimate properly to guarantee new owners THE experience of a lifetime!

You were fortunate that when you broke quarantine, things went nicely for you, but most others are NOT so lucky...

All best,

Thanks for your reply and I do repect it.I at one time raised and trained Germ Shepherds.There is so much responsiblity in owning a pet.Adrina is 7 mos old.My domestic Tom cat has already been vet checked.Adrina went for her complete exam the next day upon picking her up.All was going so well Tuff excepted her within 3 days which I thought would be forever.She just made herself at home.I contacted the breeder before doing this and due to the unusual circumstances this was ok to do .I am amazed at how well this went.This doesn't happen often.We wanted Tuff to have the best companion due to the fact he was an abused rescue cat when we took him in 7 yrs agoThere is someone here at home on a full time basis and this was a perfect investment.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
Stilgar is really gorgeous! Congratulations!
Start counting down the days until the Multiple Savannah Stampede through the house begins :)

Pam and Will

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks everyone! Day one has gone well, he's a talker for sure! LOL We moved the quarantine room to a smaller room where he'll be closer to us, one of us will be spending the nights with him while he's in the 'room'! He played himself out and is down for a nap now. We just love seeing the things that make us think of Leto... falling through the roof hole of his little cat fort is one of them! :confused:

I think I should go take a nap now too.. every meow last night I was up talking back to him.. as I said he's chatty! ;)

T

The Kasbah

Thanks everyone! Day one has gone well, he's a talker for sure! LOL We moved the quarantine room to a smaller room where he'll be closer to us, one of us will be spending the nights with him while he's in the 'room'! He played himself out and is down for a nap now. We just love seeing the things that make us think of Leto... falling through the roof hole of his little cat fort is one of them! :confused:

I think I should go take a nap now too.. every meow last night I was up talking back to him.. as I said he's chatty! ;)

Uh oh....that mouthy little sucker back talking to you already? Remember how Leto challenged you in the beginning? Welcome to round #2! LOL

admin

Paige
Staff member

YOu guys are such good kitty parents...he is probably a bit lonely, so you may want to have a radio or TV on in the room, if you do not already, when you are not there.