Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surprises in litterbox

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I think she means the entrance to the litter box. Bekki have you thought of getting him a bigger litter box? Like one of the walk in ones? That way he wouldn't step in it when he does his business. As for why he's not burying his poo, um, some cats don't... it's has to do with how they were trained when they were kittens.

I

This is what I am using currently

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Take the lid off. He'll have more room to maneuver. Can't tell how long the box is but you might to try a longer one and he might like 2 litter boxes. My boys like to pee in one and poop in another.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I had meant the entrance to the litterbox inside. it is one of those storage bins I recycled to turn into a litter box. Do you think If I take the lid off it may help?

I would think it worth trying. Many cats don't like a covered box... so it's a simple step to try to see if it helps...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Most cats prefer to have their litter box open, , but I'm not sure that removing the lid will change his behavior of dragging toys and dirty clothes into the box... never hurts to try though...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I agree, he might still feel that need. Although if the issue is the lingering of smell in the box from the covered setup, he might find the odor dissipates easier with the open top (I know that doesn't sound great for household odors, maybe an airpurifier situated by the box(es) too) and so is not feeling he needs to cover it up so much...

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I will try that out. I have noticed his poo could knock out a cockroach when he eats the wet food as a snack. It's chicken liver and chicken heart mix. He loves it but seems quite shameful the next bowel movement after. And I spray poopourri in the room to clear up the smell then all is well. but I think he still smells it after and that's when he pulls things into the box. we will have to see

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think if you are not regularly offering a food and then give it, then you can have that issue. Also maybe that is not the wet food he does well with... you could consider other canned foods to see if they have the same effect. If they do then maybe the "snack" should be something like plain meat (raw or cooked) as I don't generally find that causes stomach upsets...

Yes, spraying the poopouri likely fixes the smell in the room, but with the lid on, the smell is likely lingering strongly IN that litterbox. It would dissipate much more slowly hence he is trying to cover it so that his litterbox is tolerable for him again...