Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Taji has inflammatory bowel disease

admin

Paige
Staff member
I really hope he likes one of those and does well on it. Taj will eat rabbit, so maybe your Taji will like it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I hope you can find an alternative he goes for. Just one thing though, if you find he rejects all the Hare Today meats, do try other brands. Although I love Hare Today for the huge variety they offer, I have had some of my cats reject their rabbit for example, while they love rabbit from other sources. For the ground rabbit at least, the meat doesn't seem well-sealed in packages so somewhat oxidizes and I think affects the taste. The rabbit pieces they are ok with though.

I hope he can find other meats to enjoy so that you don't have to medicate!

John Popp

Site Supporter
My cats are somewhat the same Brigitte. They'll eat the rabbit from hare today that I grind, but not the pre-ground stuff. I would assume the rabbits are the same source, but who knows. They definitely do love their rabbit though and I always have a one meal partial hunger strike when they get switched away from it.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, I've ground the rabbit pieces from Hare Today and the cats have eaten that, just not the ground product from them...

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
Deborah, I don't think I've heard about any cats being allergic to rabbit. Just a thought.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I hope you can find an alternative he goes for. Just one thing though, if you find he rejects all the Hare Today meats, do try other brands.
Thanks Brigitte. What other rabbit sources can you recommend? Mine run hot and cold on HareToday rabbit. I used to get from a place in Washington state (can't remember the name) & they loved it but she couldn't keep up with demand for her product. I'll also give HareToday rabbit pieces a try if the ground is rejected.

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
She thinks the mobility of people may have an effect (bringing trees & plants from different parts of the country where they wouldn't normally exist exposes people and animals to new pollen sources) as well as the way all commercial pet food is prepared today -- too many unnecessary ingredients and a scary amount of contaminants. Commercial feed given to animals who end up as pet food is a prime suspect. It could be that Taji isn't allergic to quail but rather to what the quail is fed.
I've been told that you need to
Constantly be feeding different meat sources. Alot of people get stuck on just feeding chicken and then the animal gets a sensitivity to that protein. By rotating 4 different meats then you reduce the chance of creating food sensitivities. Also do you add any supplements like L-glutamine, digestive enzymes and probiotics to the food?

NikkiA

Site Supporter
This is an expensive suggestion, but there is a company here in NJ called D'Artagnan, and the meats are all organic or wild.
It is meant for human consumption, but we always share with our (VERY SPOILED) boys, and they have yet to get sick from anything from D'Artagnan. May be worth a try if all other avenues are exhausted. When Mickey was so sick in December and January (he went from 9 pounds to 6 pounds), I fed him organic meat from them for nearly 4 weeks- I personally think it made a huge difference in helping get him healthy again, and I was able to re-introduce (different) prepared foods; he now up to 12.5 pounds of muscle, and to me, that is much more important to me than how much I spent feeding three kitties D'artagnan for 4 weeks.